New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 Panther issue...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nwilcox

i bought a powerbook about 2 months ago; works great. bought a G3 from a friend with 10.2 Jaguar about a week ago. used the CD i got from the powerbook to upgrade to Panther on the G3. it restarted, and has the follow issues: top menu bar shows on for 2 seconds then is hidden for 2 seconds (and cycles). does not show the hard drive on the desktop. does not show the cd on the desktop, and will not let me eject it. i am using a microsoft keyboard (aka no apple keys), so i cant eject the cd.

whats going on? was there a problem with how Panther installed? please help me. i'd rather not spend more $$ to take it to a mac store to figure out what got f-ed up.

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Changes are that the install media you use was not a full install, but a G4 powerbook install disk.

To eject the CD, reboot the system and hold down the mouse button, when the systemj is booting. That should ejct the disk. You can even try pressing the F12 key (holding it down for a few seconds), it may work.

Which G3 do you have? I know that certain G3s you have to install Xpostfacto, in order to complete the install.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
nwilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
Changes are that the install media you use was not a full install, but a G4 powerbook install disk.

To eject the CD, reboot the system and hold down the mouse button, when the systemj is booting. That should ejct the disk. You can even try pressing the F12 key (holding it down for a few seconds), it may work.

Which G3 do you have? I know that certain G3s you have to install Xpostfacto, in order to complete the install.
i tried the mouse button and F12...neither worked. i'll give them both a shot one more time, but it didn't respond when i tried last time.

i have a blue and white G3 tower...it's 400 MHz, 446 MB, 6 GB, etc.

do i need to use the xpostfacto software, or ...?
also, the G3 only installed the first of 2 cd's that came with the powerbook. i don't know if that matters or not...

help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer selection | preserving folder preferences - computer to computer »