New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Matt

I know in Windows, if you download an update, chances are it makes the computer worse off. So is 10.3.5 recommended by the people of this forum?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Well, I started with 10.3 and regularly updated it, ending up at 10.3.5. Never had a problem related to system updates yet...
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

It's not a Window box and generally Mac OS patches have less holes then window equivalents. 10.3.5 runs and updates without a glitch.
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Well, actually, believe it or not, I may be experiencing some problems, but maybe these only apply to G3s. When 10.3.4 first came out, my father and I downloaded it. I think my computer may have gotten slightly slower, and his definitely did, since I could no longer play Gameboy Advance games on VisualBoy Advance on his computer at top speed. Before the update, it was at top speed, and I think that's what caused it. When I heard that the release of 10.3.5 was a speed update, I was happy, but it's not any faster. My father downloaded it too, and the games still don't run at top speed. So, on my experiences on a G3 (one with 500 MHz and 384 MB of RAM, and the other with 700 MHz and 256 MB of RAM), these minor updates seem to make the computer slower. But I'd still recommend it. Apple recommends it to all users of Panther. I'm sure it has updates that are good, and of course eventually lots of programs will only be able to run on 10.3.5. So, it is best to progress further, even though there are negative consequences.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

10.3.5 is running nicely on both my iBook G3 900 and my Beige G3 AIO 300. No problems at all.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

My HP scanjet (scanner) doesn't work with 10.3.5 - Unfortunatly I bought the Mac with 10.3.5 and can't go back, so I'm stuck with a non-functioning scanner.

Apart from that, everything else is happy.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

My 10.3.5 is running just great
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheep
My HP scanjet (scanner) doesn't work with 10.3.5 - Unfortunatly I bought the Mac with 10.3.5 and can't go back, so I'm stuck with a non-functioning scanner.

Did you test the scanner using an earlier version of OS X to confirm that it is the .5 update that's the problem?

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Matt

I'll wait for more comments on G3 users. I have a HP printer. Anyone had any conflicts with HP printers/scanners? I mean for any version for OS X? Did yours work fine in one version and in others it didn't? I have heard alot of trouble with HP printers with Macs, thats all.

Aimed @ iSheep:

I didn't know you got a Mac! How long ago?
QUOTE Thanks
Shin

I'm having a nightmare... My mouse and keyboard stop responding all time.

And others USB stuffs maybe stop responding too... I do not really know, but this release cames with a BIG troubles... I tested with another 3 computers: 2 has no problem but 1 has the same trouble....
QUOTE Thanks
Matt

What are the computers that have trouble?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Try running repair permissions: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions
QUOTE Thanks
Dalton29

Dalton29 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheep

Have you tried a program called VueScan? It should support your scanner but I'm afraid its not free. Its available at http://www.hamrick.com/ for about $60. And no, I don't work for them... lol.
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
Did you test the scanner using an earlier version of OS X to confirm that it is the .5 update that's the problem?
The help artical on HP.com told me it was a .5 problem and that it would be fixed soon.

Grrr.
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I'll wait for more comments on G3 users. I have a HP printer. Anyone had any conflicts with HP printers/scanners? I mean for any version for OS X? Did yours work fine in one version and in others it didn't? I have heard alot of trouble with HP printers with Macs, thats all.

Aimed @ iSheep:

I didn't know you got a Mac! How long ago?
2 weeks now - I love it!

I can't get Excel to print anything at the moment, tad annoying.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« preventative maintenance? | Shift icons to the left »