New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - brand new macbook: track pad stalls, "a" key sticks, and no downloads, oh my

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amalthea

amalthea is on a distinguished road

Help me, Mac forum, you're my only hope-- stuck with no ideas, and no Mac store in my country. I just bought a MacBook, new, about one month ago [2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, for what that's worth]; it's my third mac and the first I've had serious problems with. They are, in order of annoyance:

(1) The keyboard is sticky, and several keys require frequent banging to work, a big problem since I use the computer for work and need to be able to type quickly. Especially have trouble with the "a" key and the apostrophe key, the a key being particularly frustrating.

(2) When I transferred my info from the last Mac, the computer created a separate account for the old info. That's okay, even though I only need one account, but the account I actually want to use, the one with all my old doc's on it, won't let me download any files to my desktop. Making that account an "admin" account, and changing permissions so everyone can write or read my desktop doesn't help.

(3) My trackpad freezes. It comes back after a few seconds, but this has just become something of an annoyance. You know when you have an old pen, and it doesn't work unless you scribble on a paper before each written word? My track pad acts like that. Every time I stop constant use, I have to scribble around on it to get it back to functioning.

I realize (1) and (3) are potentially hardware problems, but am not fully sure (since I've read leopard futzes with keyboards on other forums), so posting here in case.

Thanks millions..
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

1) Contact apple and ask them to replace the keyboard or perhaps the entire top case... it definitely sounds as though your Macbook has hardware issues.
2) Try this: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...71004054943929 (check the comments!)
3) See 1
QUOTE Thanks
amalthea

amalthea is on a distinguished road

Aptmunich,

Sorry for my terribly slow reply. But just wanted to thank you for the advice. I think my downloading problem is a Firefox issue, because I tried in Safari and it works fine. Now just have to find a way to fix the keys. But anyway thanks for replies, appreciated
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keyboard Shortcut to go back in finder? | Sidebar search »