New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Can't boot from Leopard DVD, what am I doing wrong??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Everything I have read in other threads says I need to hold down C at startup to boot from the Leopard DVD, but when I try that it boots from the HD anyway and then I get stuck with the Leopard install process.

What am I doing wrong???

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

Well, you are correct in that you should be holding C when booting. Have you tried going into System Preferences > Startup Disk and selecting the CD from there?

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks
captaindan

captaindan will become famous soon enough

isn't Leopard just an install disc?
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

well, I finally got to disk utility in DVD boot. I went through the instruction to erase my HD, but it's not erasing from what I see. It just quickly says" preparing to erase" then "mounting disk". After that it still shows the same amount of disk when it should say 0.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Did you give Apple a Call? Sounds like a faulty DVD to me. Or take it back to the Apple store, ask them to look at it.

I wonder if overall quality in the commercial media is top notch. I bought DiskWarrior 4 and got it finally before New Year's: when I try to boot from the CD, it makes my iMac G5 throw such a fit, it kernel panics immediately. I am doing tests, on and off and am in contact with Alsoft. There are just a few things left to verify and if it still keeps up this way, I will ask Alsoft if I can return this CD and get a new copy. On the surface, there are circular scratches and I cannot wash them off. Betcha the reading is affected by those scratches.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

ok I feel like an idiot. I finally got it to do what I wanted. I didn't realize when you tell it to erase or format, it doesn't do so in the traditional sense to the word. I had to go into swcuirty options for that. Everything should be fine now.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Did you give Apple a Call? Sounds like a faulty DVD to me. Or take it back to the Apple store, ask them to look at it.

I wonder if overall quality in the commercial media is top notch. I bought DiskWarrior 4 and got it finally before New Year's: when I try to boot from the CD, it makes my iMac G5 throw such a fit, it kernel panics immediately. I am doing tests, on and off and am in contact with Alsoft. There are just a few things left to verify and if it still keeps up this way, I will ask Alsoft if I can return this CD and get a new copy. On the surface, there are circular scratches and I cannot wash them off. Betcha the reading is affected by those scratches.
If he can boot and launch the utility, it's probably not the disc...

What does the "Used capacity" say?
You don't have to go the Disk utility route anyway.

If you click the "options" button during the install, you can choose to "Erase & Install" Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

DOH! I read in the opening post he couldn't boot from the DVD, it went directly to the HD instead.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

MHC I was also battling with Alsoft. Struth v. 4 is s-l-o-w. On my G4 it takes about twelve minutes to boot. They need to do some work on this as it is not as near as efficient as v. 3 is.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Ok guys, one more problem with Time Machine. I named my computer the same as I had before, but when I went to migrate my info from Time Machine, it didn't like that both names were the same, so it made me rename my Time Machine account. So now I have 2 admin accounts: one has all my backed up info loaded into it, but I can't access the Time Machine info from before, and the other has the Time Machine info, but it won't let me "go back in time" anyway! I may have to call support on this one, but if anyone has experience restoring with Time Machine, I would appreciate some help.

QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
MHC I was also battling with Alsoft. Struth v. 4 is s-l-o-w. On my G4 it takes about twelve minutes to boot. They need to do some work on this as it is not as near as efficient as v. 3 is.
My version 4 is fine ...... but I can't compare with 3 as I haven't used it before.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
DiskWarrior now compatible with Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro w/ OSX 10.4.11: Graphics Have Become Jerky | System restore disc Q »