New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - Tiger or Leopard, need advice...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ia02

ia02 is on a distinguished road

Just got a "new"/used MBP C2D2.33. Had Tiger installed when new. I have both Leopard and Tiger disks. I'm gonna reload the OS and all my programs before I start using the thing. What do you all think, Tiger or leopard? I am running logic express 7 on my old G4 powerbook but also have logic studio 8 and would like to start using it. My main FW interface (for now and hopefully not much longer) is a Presonus Firebox. I will be upgrading sometime soon, not sure to what. So what are your votes for the best OS for my setup. Stability is most important for me but, flexibility and speed count too. Thanks alot all...

-ian
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Leopard has proven to be really stable. A few minor bugs maybe, but otherwise rock solid. I'd say Leopard any day.
QUOTE Thanks
charliecrosslan

charliecrosslan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB

Leopard!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Leopard - it's already proven quicker than Tiger on Dual-Core 64-bit Intel chips, and the 10.5.2 update is rumoured to stretch this advantage.

Logic Express works flawlessly on Leopard (I have it) and I can't imagine Logic 8 has any issues with it.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

Weird Fish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Leopard is incredible.

I had Tiger for a few months prior, and I thought there was no way it could be improved.

/wrong
QUOTE Thanks
ia02

ia02 is on a distinguished road

Interesting, everybody on this forum says Leopard and everyone on Gearslutz and Bigbluelounge says tiger. Now I'm torn...
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia02 View Post
Interesting, everybody on this forum says Leopard and everyone on Gearslutz and Bigbluelounge says tiger. Now I'm torn...
Do they state why? If you had a Powerbook G4 or less than 1gb of RAM, I'd agree with them, but a cutting edge MBP... it's got to be Leopard.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

I'm running Leopard on my iBook G4 with 512MB of RAM. Runs well....
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

I have a MBP which I purchased with Tiger installed. Being an early adopter I had to have Leopard. I didn't have any problems with either of them but I feel Leopard has a few more nice things and is very stable for a new OS. Just wasn't quite as different as I was expecting.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac keeps "rebooting" itself....Can anyone help? | Getting rid of international support »