Lutonian
    Startup disk full. Adding HD space help.
    Since I've been getting the pop up message non stop that my startup disk is full, I bought a 250 GB ex LaCie drive. The message is still popping up. How do I add space to the startup disk...I've got 250Gb extra now.....

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Drag files off of your startup disk onto the external (anything not system files pretty much)
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Lutonian
    how to i get to the startup disk to transfer the files? where is it?

Wapa18
    the startup disk is your main hard drive. take files off of there and put them on the external one.

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Mine is called Mac OS X. Your should be something along that line. As was stated copied some of your files from the users area of the disk to the new disk. Then go back and remove the files from the old disk. I would look at your users area. i am assuming that you have downloaded a lot of stuff, like music, etc.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

DJ Yer
    OS X Startup Disk?
    Quote Originally Posted by rman
    Mine is called Mac OS X. Your should be something along that line. As was stated copied some of your files from the users area of the disk to the new disk. Then go back and remove the files from the old disk. I would look at your users area. i am assuming that you have downloaded a lot of stuff, like music, etc.
    Hi,

I have quite a bit of music as well as recording programs... So basically a lot of data to store. I'm encountering problems with one of the recording programs, Protools. When I try to create a new file, it says I need "an audio record playback..." I think this refers to space needed to create new files. So, when I tryo to find my startup disk, I only find a Mac OS 9 (I have OS X), which doesn't even open, but I don;t think this is what i want...

Any ideas about how I can free space up? I've read the above ideas, but I can't find the OS X startup, only OS 9 crops up...?

Thanks!

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Under OS X, your startup harddrive is in the top right corner of your desktop.
    (a little metal harddrive icon).

That is your startup drive - the one the system is running off.
    Your external harddrive should show up beneath that somewhere as a little orange harddrive icon.

Open up your startup drive and navigate to the data you want to store externally (photos/music/games...whatever)

Drag that to the other external harddrive (the orange icon) and then delete it off your internal startup harddrive.

Thread Information