New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

messenger icon on desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mig.gentry

mig.gentry will become famous soon enough

Hello
Every time i start up msn messenger an icon appears on the desktop and won't go away. It's the little disk drive looking white thing most downloaded applications come with but most can be put in a folder and they stay there, messenger just keeps coming back and is starting to become an annoyance.
All suggestions welcome
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I'll bet you have MSN Messenger in the Dock, right?

What's probably happened is, you've saved the downloaded .dmg Disk Image file instead of the actual MSN Messenger app. When you click on the MSN icon in the dock, the system mounts the Disk Image (the white disk) and launches Messenger from that.

What you need to do is copy Messenger from that white disk icon to your Applications folder. Then find the .dmg file and delete it. Remove the Messenger icon from your dock and replace it with the one from your Applications folder.
QUOTE Thanks
fabio

c'mon, pleas dont use MSN on mac.

its bullSH***

use adium ( http://www.adiumx.com/ ) its opensource, and it understands MSN, ICQ, AIM, ...
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio
c'mon, pleas dont use MSN on mac.

its bullSH***

use adium ( http://www.adiumx.com/ ) its opensource, and it understands MSN, ICQ, AIM, ...
I don't think Adium handles MSN well at all, but if you also use AIM, ICQ, or Yahoo!, go with Adium. If you don't, stick with MSN.
QUOTE Thanks
PinkPhishDoors

MSN messenger is horrible, for any platform... Any program you install on a Windows asks you to disable it when your using the program or it will screw it up. I don't use MSN messenger but I bet Adium works fine. I just started using Adium about 3 days ago, it makes these funny quacking sounds.
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

msn messenger is alright on a mac
QUOTE Thanks
PowerbookG417

another choice..i never tried this Adium yet..i myself have been using Dmsn the last couple months with not many issues at all either, it gives you the ability to have avatars..not sure if that is a feature of Adium or not
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerbookG417
another choice..i never tried this Adium yet..i myself have been using Dmsn the last couple months with not many issues at all either, it gives you the ability to have avatars..not sure if that is a feature of Adium or not
A. dMSN is Java based. And Java sucks.
B. Adium has avatars. But really, pointless feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPhishDoors
MSN messenger is horrible, for any platform... Any program you install on a Windows asks you to disable it when your using the program or it will screw it up. I don't use MSN messenger but I bet Adium works fine. I just started using Adium about 3 days ago, it makes these funny quacking sounds.
A. MSN on both platforms is great.
B. We were not talking about Windows in this thread. All Mac.
C. "I don't use MSN Messenger" Conflicts with your statement that states "MSN messenger is horrible, for any platform..."
D. The quacking noises kinda **** me off, not used to them.
QUOTE Thanks
idea3

idea3 is on a distinguished road

Can you use voice or camera on Adium?
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider
msn messenger is alright on a mac
It's not that bad, it just seems to get disconnected quite a lot for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Danster

all my mates have windows so i have to use msn
will i chat work with msn?
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

iChat only works with .Mac and AIM unforunately.

QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

ichat doesnt use msn.
QUOTE Thanks
dglenn

I know this is an old posting but, I wanted to say thanks for the tip (Adium).
Adium is just what I want to communicate with MSNers. It's as it should be for a Mac

...customizable and stable.

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to enlarge icons? | Mail Account Alias Question »