New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Expose and spaces not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ogrerocks

ogrerocks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MB pro, 2.16GHz, 2gb RAM

I'm having a strange problem with expose and spaces. They seem to crash on me at random times.
With spaces, I can't use either the ctrl + arrows or ctrl + number to switch, but I can use the icon in the menu bar to switch fine.
With expose, it has just stopped responding at all. No dashboard, no show all windows, nothing.
Quicksilver has also stopped working when this happens.

This has only happened recently while I've been using 4 spaces and running parallels, acrobat, excel, opera, and itunes.

The problem has fixed itself once or twice before, but I don't know what I did to fix it, or if my actions had anything to do with it.

I'm on a Macbook pro and it has been going in and out of standby for the past 3 or 4 days.

jeff DOT rodriguez AT gmail DOT com
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

id say backup your data, and give her a clean install. See if it persists then.

i just fixed my dvd player/parallels issue with this very method. Seemed my DVD Player program was corrupt or something, and it caused constant kernel issues.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
ogrerocks

ogrerocks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MB pro, 2.16GHz, 2gb RAM

Now that I've closed the laptop, left it in sleep mode for a bit and opened it again, everything is working.
Do expose and spaces restart when coming out of sleep mode?

jeff DOT rodriguez AT gmail DOT com
QUOTE Thanks
sgbotsford

sgbotsford is on a distinguished road

reinstall -- such a windows answer <grin>

Open System preferences
go to spaces preference pane.
Change your shortcut key to something different, change it back.

This happens to me about once a week.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

This has never happened to me, on either MacBook Pro I have owned in 3 years. When was the last time you fixed your disk permissions ? Try that first. I use Onyx, which does more than fix permissions and recommend it. Let it re-index spotlight, run all the daily, weekly and monthly scripts, clear your cache etc etc..

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« accessing MAC OS after installing windows | Opening SuperPaint Files »