New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - 15" Powerbook w Panther 10.3.9 to Leopard or Tiger?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sportymonk

Sportymonk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 15" 1.25GHz

Know this has probably been asked but couldn't find anything. (Couldn't even find my old posts!)

I have a 2003 15" Powerbook 1.25 GHz that I just pulled one of the 256 chips out (had 512) and put in a Crucial 1MH chip. Have a new hard drive in it also.

Question, in light of all the difficulties aned issues with Leopard (just read the comments at the Apple sight and the ones since Dec 25th are scary).

Would I be better to just upgrade to Tiger 10.4 or leave it as Pantehr 10.3?

Issue to consider, apparnetly the DVD player in Leopard will not run on my machine, oterhwise everything else is ok. How will I be able to play DVDs if the Leopard version won't work? Can I keep the Panther version?
QUOTE Thanks
mac0s9user

mac0s9user is a jewel in the roughmac0s9user is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.

I personally have never used panther but by what I have heard Tiger was a huge improvement. I fail to understand as to why DVD player won't run on your machine. You do have a DVD drive right? Most of Leopards issues are being worked out so it's becoming a lot better however it's requirements are higher than that of Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
Sportymonk

From the Apple Site:

General requirements

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

512MB of memory
DVD drive for installation
9GB of available disk space
Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
Some features require Apple's .Mac service; fees apply.

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS

DVD Player requires a 1.6GHz processor or faster for improved de-interlacing.

Gotcha. Just like iLife 08 (which it sounds like I am better off with iLife 06. I could run it except for iMovie which had requirements I didn't meet. (None of the original Powerbooks could.)
QUOTE Thanks
Sportymonk

Hi, my name is ABC(Changed to protect id). Welcome to Apple!
How may I help you today?

Me - I have a 15" Powerbook with 1.25 GH processor. I am running 10.3.9 Panther. I am looking at getting Leopard 10.5 BUT the additional requirements say that the iDVD player are DVD Player requires a 1.6GHz processor or faster for improved de-interlacing. Can I run Leopard?

If so, how do i play DVDs? Can I keep the IDVD from Panther or what?

Them - One moment while I research that for you.

Minimum System Requirements• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor• 512MB of physical RAM• DVD drive for installation

Do you meet these requirements?

Me - Yes but I don't meet the requirements for the iDVD unless it will work even though I don't have 1.6 GH. BTW I had 512 RAM but pulled one 256 chip set out and put in a 1Meg stick so I have a total of 1.25 Ram. (Doesn't run much faster to be honest.)

Them - Thanks for waiting. I'll be right with you.
It looks like the iDVD may not run optimally.

Me - Will it run? and if so as well as it does now?

Them - It should run like it does now

Me - OK so it looks like I can upgrade to Leopard since I meet all the other specs.

Them I can stay online with you while you complete your order in case you have any other questions about products or the order process.

Me - Thanks but I can handle it from here. Appreciate it. Have a happy new year.

Ssoooo - The question is would you upgrade to Leopard or go to Tiger or stay where I am?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Go with the new cat. Personally have never watched a movie on my G4 so won't miss it. However you can use other DVD players such as VLC.

Here is the download linkl:-

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unmounted Drive Help! | can't log in to my brand new iMac :( »