New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - A few questions about files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Weird Fish

Weird Fish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I'm sorry if this is obvious information, but I just realized the other day that I was confused about some things.

First off, what exactly is a hidden file? If I select a picture, and make it "Hidden" in the Info panel, what does that do?

Also, is there any way to require a password to view a certain folder? I know how to hide a folder from Spotlight, but is there any way to password protect it?

Let's just say that my girlfriend and I have taken to taking a lot of pictures lately, and I don't need anyone else to stumble upon them.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

um...
1) a hidden file is a file that is hidden -if you make a file hidden and refresh the finder window it will not be there anymore

2) not sure

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The only way I know to password protect your files is:

Determine how big a "folder" you need

Go to Utilities > Disk Utility and create a new disk image (new image button)

Select a size, select 128 encryption and read/write

Once done it will ask you for a password. Mount the disk image and put all your files in in.

When mounting the disk image make sure "add password to keychain" is off, otherwise anybody can open it

I won't ask what sort of pictures they are
QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
The only way I know to password protect your files is:

Determine how big a "folder" you need

Go to Utilities > Disk Utility and create a new disk image (new image button)

Select a size, select 128 encryption and read/write

Once done it will ask you for a password. Mount the disk image and put all your files in in.

When mounting the disk image make sure "add password to keychain" is off, otherwise anybody can open it

I won't ask what sort of pictures they are
Wow.

That was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you so much.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

A lazy person or even an energetic person (but each with not-so-sensitive stuff) can hide it in application icons, after right-clicking one and choosing Show Package Contents.

Who thinks of looking in app icons for documents?
QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
A lazy person or even an energetic person (but each with not-so-sensitive stuff) can hide it in application icons, after right-clicking one and choosing Show Package Contents.

Who thinks of looking in app icons for documents?
Yeah, that is a really good spot for hiding. I'm just super paranoid about stuff like that. I wanted to REALLY hide it.

Thanks though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard missing ftp... | Unmounted Drive Help! »