New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Help with mounted disk image...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bungot

bungot is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to keep a disk image mounted throughout a Restart. As in- mount the disk image- .img- file, then restart, and have it still mounted when the desktop is fully refreshed. Currently I mount it, then restart, then the desktop appears and it's back to unmounted.

Help please? Is this possible?
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

Hey bungot, I have a solution for you (I don't know if it is the best one, but it works just the same.)

Put your image wherever you wish.

Afterwards, open up Accounts inside of your System Preferences.

Under whatever account you wish for this image to be mounted on startup, select that account and then select the "Login Items" tab.

Simply drag your disk image into that list of items and bam, you should be set. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
bungot

'Fraid it didn't work, Wally.

But thanks for the idea- I hadn't thought of it.

The disk image needs to be mounted already- as if it'd done it right when the computer click on; not just immediately after everything loads.

Thanks again for the idea-
any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

Hmm. You have me on that one, I don't know enough about ordering unix to mount something at boot up before you get to the interface. Good luck though.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Don't know if this will work either.

Have the file on the desktop, open Disk Utility and drag the file to the left hand column, under your hard drive and OS. See if it stays there after reboot?
QUOTE Thanks
bungot

No go as well.

I would just burn it and make it into a hard copy disk, but it's 7 1/2 GB, so I guess I'll just have to buy a dual-layer DVD.

I guess there's no other way to do it.
Thanks again for all your suggestions, though, guys.

Merry Christmas!
Bungot
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

run a shell script with mount command something like below:
mount -t ISO9660 <name of the image> <folder where you want to mount>

Include this under your login items. You need to create one folder wherever you want to mount the image like desktop or something. I have tried it.
QUOTE Thanks
bungot

Wait wait- where do I go to run a shell script? What program do I use?
QUOTE Thanks
bungot

You're going to have to give me a complete step-by-step -- from opening the editor, to putting it under my login items, to getting it to work; i've no clue how to do scripts. I've gathered that I use Script Editor, correct?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgraded to Leopard, now Finder won't work | 200GB int HDD only 185GB? »