New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - make alias out of network cdrw ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

i have two macbooks connected,

Mac 1:
Tiger, contains cdrw drive

Mac 2:
Leopard

Im copying a buttload of dvds using each units dvd drives. Im inserting a DVD into Mac1, and looking at its dvd drive using networking (AFB) with Mac2, and copying to a firewire drive hooked into Mac2.

Id like to be able to put an Alias to Mac1's cdrw/dvd drive on Mac2's desktop, and just click on it and cmd-c, blah blah...

it doesnt seem i can create any sort of "network" alias for a drive.

When i mount Mac2's internal drive from Mac1 (using Tiger), it puts an icon for whatever drive i mounted on Mac1's desktop (some globe with a clear box around it).

why doesnt leopard do this? i have to leave a network window open to do the same thing....???

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Click on your desktop, then hit Command+, (comma). It will bring up the preferences. In the "General" tab, select Connected Servers and they should show up.

Now, why isn't Finder letting you create Aliases? are accessing your files via the 'Shared' thing on the sidebar? Cause, if you are, I'd suggest you connect directly via the "Go > Connect to server" option. Just enter your "Tiger" ip address or sharename (Go to Sys prefs > Sharing. It will show the share name as your.imac.local or something like that. Put that it, hit connect and it should ask you what you want to mount. Once mounted, you can create aliases and whatnot.

Another option, if you want to do large scale copying, is to put your "Tiger" mac into target disk mode. Just restart your "Tiger mac" and press and hold down "T" while booting and connect it to "Leopard" via firewire cable. I could be wrong, but it allows you to access your "Tiger" CD-ROM as well...
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
Click on your desktop, then hit Command+, (comma). It will bring up the preferences. In the "General" tab, select Connected Servers and they should show up.

Now, why isn't Finder letting you create Aliases? are accessing your files via the 'Shared' thing on the sidebar? Cause, if you are, I'd suggest you connect directly via the "Go > Connect to server" option. Just enter your "Tiger" ip address or sharename (Go to Sys prefs > Sharing. It will show the share name as your.imac.local or something like that. Put that it, hit connect and it should ask you what you want to mount. Once mounted, you can create aliases and whatnot.

Another option, if you want to do large scale copying, is to put your "Tiger" mac into target disk mode. Just restart your "Tiger mac" and press and hold down "T" while booting and connect it to "Leopard" via firewire cable. I could be wrong, but it allows you to access your "Tiger" CD-ROM as well...

command-, worked fine. i thought i had already done that, must of been my initial install of leopard thanks

it wouldnt let me create an alias of the network cdrw drive, but the "show connected servers" is what i was after anyways. I can create aliasses of local data, and data on the network, so that is working.

last, i need the tiger machine up and running todo the encodes. doing 350 dvds with handbrake, compressing each to h264 1.5gb's, takes much longer with one machine vs two

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's the Difference between TimeMachine & SuperDuper? | Leopard reinstall issues »