New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Making Mac Run faster again

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tsuke

tsuke is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I've posted before and it was recommended that I look at Activity Manager.

1. I can manually close some random processes now, but how do I make it so they do not turn on automatically? ex: my printer has a processor running, my camera ( external ) has a program running etc etc

2. And secondly, what is ROOT user? According to my manager, there are a ton of root user processes that are inactive, but taking up memory.

According to its findings RIGHT now..
Wired : 163 MB
Active : 144 MB
Inactive : 185 MB
Used : 489 MB
Free : 22 MB
3. I'm trying to learn, and must say that I don't know that much yet, but isn't 22mb free.... kinda... bad?

I've thought about reformatting back to nothing, would this be at end all of cures?

THANKS!
Tsuke
EDIT : Spelling
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

From your description, you have 512 MB memory installed. While this may not be the solution you are looking for, you will benefit GREATLY from installing another 512 MB, perhaps even buying 2 GB sticks for a total of 2 GB. 512 MB is enough to make the computer run for the most mundane of tasks anymore. If you want snappy speed while you're at it, you need some more memory.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Unfortunately, have to agree with snoslicer. Upgrading your memory would be the best route.

Starting over from scratch would only help until you reinstalled your printer, camera, and other apps to the machine. Memory is cheap compared to the time it would take keeping your system totally clean of all extraneous processes.

Don't know where you are located, but 1GB sticks for $25 and 2GB kits for $50 are pretty common now.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tiger for emac 800Mhz | server problems »