New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

original HD icon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

octohunter

I recently replaced my HD icon with a custom image. Does anybody know where I'd find the original one?
QUOTE Thanks
Oscardms

Oscardms is on a distinguished road

Just go back into the "info" pic and select command "x". that should work.
QUOTE Thanks
octohunter

I can't find the original HD icon to paste back in the info box. I'm sure it's burried in the OS somewhere.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

What he is saying is to do the following. Select the old icon. The do a command i, for get info. In the get info window you will see and generic icon in the upper left corner. Select it and then do a command x. Once you have done this the original icon picture should return.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
octohunter

The generic icon does not appear, only the new icon that I want to replace with the original. I've learned the C and V strokes to change the icon. Now I just need to find the original. Is it in a system folder or something?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you looking for where the original image is kept. I can help you there.

But you can do this: I believe that you have a copy of the new image. If you do the command-x, which does a cut. It will turn you back to the original image. You can do a command-c and get a copy of the default image. Which you paste into one of your graphic editting programs.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

You wont see the old one until you log-out and back in.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

You should see the old one as soon as you do the cut option.

QUOTE Thanks
octohunter

Thanks. I finally understood. You're a big help.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
You should see the old one as soon as you do the cut option.
In the get info window, yes. But on mine I usually dont see the change in the Finder until re login. Might be just me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« password protect folders | Error Window? »