New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - Leopard won't load, but windows will!?!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lippstuh

lippstuh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2.16ghz / 1gb ram / 120gb iPod 5G 30gb

Okay I had the older version (can't recall the os name) before leopard, upgraded for about a month, did all the updates no problem.

today, the computer lagged pretty bad. all i had open was firefox, so i quit it and tried shutting down... but i couldn't even get the menu open. out of frustration i disconnected the battery. propped it back in. and tried turning it on. this is what i saw: the apple symbol (one u see always during startup) and the circle icon indicating that its loading (not from mouse). it just keeps spinning and spinning. i have bootcamp, so i try windows, works like a charm.

any ideas? i need my files on the mac os side since it's client's documents, very important. if i need a new hard drive or need to reinstall or whatever the case is, i at least need to retrieve the files so i can back it up.
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Put the Leopard DVD in and run Upgrade or Archive and Install- you won't lose your data that way.
QUOTE Thanks
lippstuh

lippstuh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2.16ghz / 1gb ram / 120gb iPod 5G 30gb

too bad i dont have 11.x gb of space for it to archive..... i have around 8, i tried deleting files via terminal, but it won't let me because the whole drive is read-only. is there a way to
1. transfer files to an external via terminal
2. delete read-only files/folders
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

Why don't you just boot up from the disk and repair disk permissions?
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

You dont have to pop-out battery to force shutdown. Simply hold down power button for a few seconds.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wrong password | Macbook disc on Mac Pro »