New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Universal vs Power PC vs "Neither"?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scarredtaka

scarredtaka is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD

Hi,
I just upgraded my macbook pro to Leopard, long story behind that, but...
I have an application that I use a lot, that is processor intensive, an animation program, and it absolutely crawls after installing leopard. It feels like my processor power has been cut in half. Everything about that program takes at least twice as long to do now. Startup, rendering, applying filters, etc.

I was thinking it was a problem with leopard, but everything else works ok.

I then through about the fact that it may be a power pc application and emulating. However, I can't tell if it is or not. Going to get info, i get a window that looks like this.

By scarredtaka at 2007-12-15

Other Applications have get info screens that look like this. They say "Universal" after Kind.

Other Applications have "Power PC" after them.

So, what kind of application is being shown in my first picture. (Poser 6.0 OSX)?

Secondly, do you think that is the source of the problem, or do you think there is another factor in play?

I have installed all the updates for leopard (10.5.1),etc.

If sharing the history of the upgrade and the steps that lead up to this point would help, please let me know. It's a long story, so if I don't have to type it, I wont.

Thanks for any ideas and comments,

-ST-
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

This won't be of much help as to why it's so slow, but FWIW, I ran a Google search for "poser 6.0" slow. The hits are not encouraging.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I've only seen Java-based apps say that.

(That would explain why it was running slow, but not why it would be running slower. I very much doubt that is the case.)

Oh, and you should probably upgrade AppleWorks to 6.2.9.
QUOTE Thanks
hal515

hal515 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM

Same here, but give develops sometime. Apple just switched the processors so basically and thing that is PowerPC native with out universal code will run slower cause of Rosetta.
QUOTE Thanks
scarredtaka

scarredtaka is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD

Technologist- I was unaware that there was an update. Thanks.

hal515- I was running 10.4.10 before this, and the program didn't run as slow as it is now.

I found the demo for Poser 7, which is supposedly universal binary. If that fixes the problem, then I might be upgrading.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard Bluetooth | Making a bootable Disk »