New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - HELP! my Macintosh HD icon has disappeared from my desktop!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ekologik

ekologik is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs

I've tried doing this:

http://www.pinkmutant.com/articles/invisible.html

But it only works temporarily.

Any idea how to help? I'm running Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Are you running any 'shaper shifter' skins or themes?
In the Finder, go to Finder --> Preferences --> General. Is there a check mark under "Show these items on the Desktop" for your Hard disks?
QUOTE Thanks
ekologik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Are you running any 'shaper shifter' skins or themes?
In the Finder, go to Finder --> Preferences --> General. Is there a check mark under "Show these items on the Desktop" for your Hard disks?
yeah, i've checked that already. not working still.

archive adn install didn't work either.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Click on finder, go to preference and select first item 'Show Hard Disk".
QUOTE Thanks
ekologik

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Click on finder, go to preference and select first item 'Show Hard Disk".
sherman had just suggested that above already. that was one of the first things i've checked.

although after the archive and install, though it wasn't there, i ran this script in the apple script as suggested here

tell application "System Events"
set visible of disk "NameofDisk" to true
end tell

tell application "Finder" to quit
delay 1
tell application "Finder" to launch

and it seems to be working so far on startup..
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Just as an aside for anyone searching for missing desktop files - so not necessarily for your problem ekologik - I also read today that Intuit QuickBooks's automatic updater can really mess up in OS X. It deletes all files on the desktop NOT make them invisible! It deletes!

According to the Intuit user forum, the problem happens in OS X Tiger 10.4.x and OS X Leopard 10.5.x while in this Apple Discussions thread, the thread is in the Tiger forum.

Quote:
...Apparently QB tries to get an update (which it does not need, as it is the R4 version), so I am guessing it is triggered by some internet check. At any rate, it fails because it suddenly disconnects from the net. It throws up an error message that you only have 100 bytes on your disk and cancels the update. Sometime between the update cancellation and the program opening, IT DESTROYS YOUR DESKTOP FOLDER as it turns it into a text edit document instead of a folder. This wipes all content of your Desktop.

If you are riunning Leopard and Time Machine you can restore the desktop folder but the next time you run QB it will, again, destroy the desktop folder.

What I did was to move everything from my desktop fpolder into another folder at the root level of the hard drive. I did leave just one small file on the desktop. Now when I run QB it destroys my desktop and I open the .../users/<my name> folder and I throw away the ruined desktop folder which is now a generic icon. Then I start Time Machine and choose to restore the one small file -- Time Machines asks if I want to remake the enclosing folder and I answer yes and wind up with the desktop folder again and the one small file.

Obviously this is ridiculous to have to do. ...
So proceed with caution if you use QuickBooks.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

it would be better not to run quickbooks until intuit resolves the problem. I got caught by the problem last night. lucky I just back up my system the day before. So I only loss a little data. It does not matter what version of the OS you are running either.

Was going to post this problem, but did not recall any quickbook users.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

It appears that Intuit put in a temporary fix, from their server end. So you will not see the upgrade error. The application will not delete the desktop folder now. The only thing I see is the desktop icon is still missing from the left of your window that is open.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook cam | PowerPC G4 Silver Door (HELP WITH OPTIMIZATION!) »