New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

can't control click.....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

flameape

having a problem- today, for some reason, when i try to control-click on a file or folder (to get menu options for the file) it closes the finder window or relaunches finder if i try to do it on a file on the desktop!

i recently did some regular verify/repair permissions and verify/repair disk- other than that- nothing crazy. any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
toddmiddendorf

I am having the same control-click problem on the OSX desktop. Any control-click on the desktop or icons (even the MAC HD icon) just cause the finder to either disappear or restart. It does not affect the icons in the dock.

Doeas ANYONE have ANY ideas? I've already tried repairing permissions and this is really aggravating.
QUOTE Thanks
Mogzilla

Mogzilla is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 12" iBook G4 1.2GHz 256 RAM+512 Added=768 MB RAM 60 GB Hard Disk

I'm sorry to dig this thread up but I've been having these problems as well. I'm running OS X 10.4. It seemed to kind of originate from Earth Desk. Does anyone else know about this? I've searched around and never seemed to find a solution.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Go to > user Library > Preferences > ctrl click com.apple.finder.plist and send it to the trash. Finder will make itself a new one.
With odd things like this it's usually the plist file that is causing the problem.
Best.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Uhm Torchy he can't Control-click! LOL

Just grab the plist file and drag it to the trash. Restart. See if this has cleared up the problem. In case it wasn't clear, the name of the file is com.apple.finder.plist.

Let us know what gives.
QUOTE Thanks
Mogzilla

Doesn't seem to work; I've deleted all of the .plist files even on other users and sometimes it still happens.

I could control-click; just sometimes it would randomly relaunch the Finder window. Before, when this happened, I saw the Earth Desk menu bar pop in through the top of the screen. Now, I've deleted the entire Earth Desk program, no caches or anything I know of are left.
QUOTE Thanks
Mogzilla

I've tried a test-- I control-clicked across the desktop; after the first five clicks the Finder was fine- every time. Every time, on the sixth click, Finder quit and relaunched.

I need some input on this please. It would be hard for me to go back and reinstall the system.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Which version of OS X are you using? You haven't said yet. And 10.3.6 is not the same necessarily as 10.4.6...
QUOTE Thanks
Follow

Follow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16 GHz

This is the same problem I'm having. It is driving me nuts.
QUOTE Thanks
Mogzilla

I'm using 10.4.8- the latest. (other than Leopard)

Edit- I've found the solution! After finally inputting the correct Google search, I've found to empty the Contextual Menu Items folder. It solved the problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Viewing bbc.co.uk Videos in Safari (wmv)? | How do you permanently Map a shared PC folder? »