New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - My Dock sometimes disappears

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

55ovalcharlie

55ovalcharlie is on a distinguished road

hi there

i'm a bit of a novice at this kind of stuff so was hoping someone might be able to help me.

every now and again in Leopard on my macbook, i will be working along nicely, then i need to go to the dock to launch another app and when i move my mouse down to the bottom the dock has vanished????

The only way I can get it back is by restarting the mac. I've tried going into system preferences and going into the dock section and fiddling around with the display settings (i'm using an external monitor as well as the macbook screen) but the only thing that gets the dock back for me is a restart.

is anyone else having this issue and does anyone know how i can fix it????

thanks

charlie
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The dock sometimes locks up (not just Leopard), its an app - part of the OS and just sometimes fails
QUOTE Thanks
55ovalcharlie

ah ok - thanks for the heads up

and there was me believeing the salesman - "Macs just never crash"

i knew it was too good to be true
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Hmm. Never had this problem with the dock. Are you sure you aren't just hiding the dock? Command+Option+D puts the dock into auto hide, so when you go to the extreme bottom, it comes back.

Anyway a way to restart the dock would be to launch "Terminal" (use spotlight). Then type "killall Dock" and hit enter. The dock should relaunch. Note that killall Dock is case sensitive..
QUOTE Thanks
55ovalcharlie

thanks for the info

pretty sure i've not done that command option d thing but will bear it in mind and will give the killall thingy a crack next time it happens.

thanks all
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have never had any issues with Dock in OSX. Only in Tiger 10.4.0 when it first came out had a problem which was quickly fixed. I have never had it disappear on me.
QUOTE Thanks
jdaviestx

jdaviestx is on a distinguished road

I've had this happen to me at random times - maybe once a month or so - for years, and I finally figured out what's causing it today. If you have multiple monitors and you move the mouse to the bottom of your secondary monitor and hold it there, the dock (for whatever reason) shifts over to the secondary monitor and minimizes itself! If you move the mouse back to your primary monitor and hold it there for about a half-second, the dock will reappear in your primary monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

That is how it works with multiple monitors so the Dock is on the one you are working with.

And like dtravis7 never have seen a Dock fail. Had folks hit the 'Hide' button and then unable to find for some odd reason.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Quietone

Quietone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.

A few times my Dock disappeared too. I checked the settings and preferences but I don't remember how I fixed it, though it had been behaving fine till then. All I know is, so far, it's working OK since then. If it happens again, I'll have to write down the steps I took to fix it. This happened with Mavericks on my MBP. It's behaving fine in Yosemite so far.

Sincerely, Quietone
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

I'd have to agree that some of the first comments provided are completely erroneous and not accurate.

Maybe providing a few more details with the problem would help provide a proper solution.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

And maybe re-awakening a 7 year old post is not such a good idea.
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

�� �� Gee, that would be a good idea and I failed to check!!

Do you think they got the problem fixed by now?

And now I know, this site doesn't support emoji I just tried.
QUOTE Thanks
Quietone

Quietone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
And maybe re-awakening a 7 year old post is not such a good idea.
If people weren't having the same problem 7 years later, we wouldn't be having this discussion now. Sorry I didn't see the date. Maybe 7 year old threads should be in a different section?

Sincerely, Quietone
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Numbers how to use 2 screens for large spreadsheets | Time Machine hangs. Cannot manually restore »