New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Leopard - New Internal or External HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pacificwar

pacificwar is on a distinguished road

I just upgraded to leopard and my hard drive is too small.
I heard it's a pain to upgrade my internal hard drive, is this true?
Or can I just use an external hard drive for the windows partition?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It is as easy as pie to upgrade a hard drive

But what mac do you have, this is important to know because if effects the size of internal hard drive you can have
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Also, you can't install Windows on an external hard drive (not without some serious hacking)
QUOTE Thanks
pacificwar

pacificwar is on a distinguished road

The reason I ask is that the apple store told me you can't upgrade a MacBook Pro.
I have a MacBook Pro 15", 1.83.
But how do you transfer all the data to the new harddrive?
QUOTE Thanks
darkmcs

darkmcs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.16ghz Core2Duo, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb WD Scorpio HDD, Westinghouse 22" external display

While it is quite involving, changing the HDD in a Macbook Pro is not that hard... according to the how-to I saw...

I would suggest you get a new internal HDD rather than an external one. Because you have a notebook, I assume you want to carry your data with you without having to carry an external HDD...

MacBook Pro unibody 2nd gen (2.53C2D, 4Gb, 320Gb WD Scorpio Black), 16Gb iPod Touch, 32Gb iPhone 3Gs, 160Gb Apple TV, iPad 3G 64Gb
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Do know, that if you upgrade your internal hard drive you will void your warranty. If I were you I would get a portable FW hard drive, these don't need an external power source (they run over the power that the FireWire port provides). Just carry it around with you when you need it an leave it at home on your desk when you don't. After a few years, when your warranty expires, I would go for the internal upgrade then (that's what I plan to do).

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leppard won't launch, Help!! | How do you like Leopard? »