New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Adaptive Scrolling

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

One of the amazing things about OS X that I have noticed just recently, is that if you have multiple applications open on the same screen say ichat, safari and itunes, and they happy to be overlapping but all visible, you can move over the program with your cursor and scroll up and down on within the program without actually bringing it to the front. So if I have safari open in the front, but itunes is in the back and I want to see what the next couple of songs will be, i can just move the mouse over and scroll down without clicking. Awesome!

The question is... why don't all programs, in my case MS Word, utilize this function. Is this application specific or is it OS specific or a little of both? Does anyone know if MS Office 2008 will harness this feature?

Anyways, it was pretty awesome to figure this out even if every app doesn't use it.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

This feature is new to leopard. It sure is amazing (especially since I navigate using my tablet. Btw, you are aware that if you can drag a window in the background by Command+dragging the title bar right?

The reason why Word and some others might not use the scrolling is because they are Carbon apps. Carbon apps are non-native OS X apps. They are many a times ports of Windows applications and some other stuff. Cocoa are native OS X apps. They are sometimes hard to differentiate, but you will know a Cocoa app when you see one (comes with a little experience).
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
This feature is new to leopard. It sure is amazing (especially since I navigate using my tablet. Btw, you are aware that if you can drag a window in the background by Command+dragging the title bar right?

The reason why Word and some others might not use the scrolling is because they are Carbon apps. Carbon apps are non-native OS X apps. They are many a times ports of Windows applications and some other stuff. Cocoa are native OS X apps. They are sometimes hard to differentiate, but you will know a Cocoa app when you see one (comes with a little experience).
Carbon apps are native apps. Even the Leopard Finder is mostly Carbon. They run at the same speed, and can do anything that a Cocoa app can do (although it's often harder for the programmer to do the same things in Carbon, and many don't bother.)

Word 2004 is a Carbon app, yes, but it's also a Rosetta app. And what's worse, it's a Microsoft app, and a very old one at that. It has a lot of cruft, and Microsoft doesn't really put a lot of emphasis on supporting the latest features.

Carbon and Cocoa are APIs; a toolkit that programmers can use to build their applications. And for some time now, the tools in the Cocoa toolkit are shinier and flashier than the ones in the Carbon toolkit. But it's not true that Carbon apps can't support the cool stuff...it's just that most of them don't bother.
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

That is very cool.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Now I'm not sure what are the exact differences between Carbon and Cocoa, but I know that Cocoa is MORE native than carbon in many regards. Cause even stuff like Photoshop, Indesign which are don't have this similar feature. While a Cocoa app will have these features out of the box by their very 'being cocoa'.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Good prices for leopard? | Quick Trick - Launch App, Close Finder Window All-in-One »