New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Should I expect any problems upgrading to Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lazyrussian

lazyrussian is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm a fairly new mac-user and my laptop (First Generation Intel Core Duo MacBook) has Tiger pre-loaded. I've never gone through the Leopard upgrade procedure so i don't know if it's a smooth transition or not.

I plan on buyng Leopard from my university store today and upgradeing soon thereafter. Should I be expecting any immediate errors/problem, hardware of software? I made sure to upgrade my third-party software for Leopard already (VPN, NeoOffice, Adium, QuickSilver, Celtx, Last.FM.app etc..).

My main concern are hardware problems: sound, hardrive, USB ports, graphics card, etc...

From my experiences with linux, there always seems to be a small error/problem after a distro-upgrade. I figure that now is a good time to buy leopard because 10.5.1 update is out fixing some of the out of box problems (assumption of mine).

Anyone have any suggestions? - I'm n the middle of finals, so i don't want a decrepit computer on my hands...

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Your best bet is to make a final bootable backup of your system using SuperDuper! (be aware that this app is not fully Leopard compatible yet but since you want to clone a Tiger system, there is no problem). Should any problems arise, you can always revert or boot from the external drive.

It's hard to pinpoint which upgrade method works best, but it looks for now like the highest rate of problems seem to come from those who went with the simple Upgrade option.
QUOTE Thanks
lazyrussian

lazyrussian is on a distinguished road

There are other upgrade options? Out of curiosity, what are they (besides a fresh install, which I don't mind doing).
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Read this sticky: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81988. All the info you need is there in that FAQ.
QUOTE Thanks
gazman

gazman is on a distinguished road

hi...make sure everything is backed up on an external hard drive....some people have had trouble installing....when it completes the install it just goes to a blue screen...and then u have to do a 'clean install' and this wipes your hard drive...but from wat i have heard for 98% of people its been no problem
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Default Permissions | Powerbook G4 12" (2003) problem, please help. »