New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Two Library Directories?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fuzzyjon79

fuzzyjon79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro

When I had my macbook pro swapped out at the Apple store, the clerk helped me move my pertinent information to my new macbook. He did it in quite a hurry and I didn't quite catch everything he was doing. I think he moved the old Library (from the old macbook) directory to the new Macbook, because I have two of them on my new machine... one directly underneath the Macintosh HD directory and one under the System directory. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have both of these? If I'm not supposed to have one of these, how could I delete the extraneous one and in turn free up some space? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

No no no! Yes you do need both of those.

You actually have 3... one under YOUR user folder, the one on the root HD directory, and the one in the System Folder.

The System's Library contains things used by all users, but it is supposed to be untouchable (i.e. "safe"). It's the stuff that Apple provides, like the Preference Panes in the System Preferences. The root Library is basically for 3rd-party stuff that is meant to be accessible to all users. Your library is for 3rd-party stuff, personal preferences, and whatnot that is limited to your account.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X and network printer | New to Mac - Dashboard has disappeared »