Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    slinki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    144
    Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
    Get your brains around this one!
    Alright everyone listen carefully!

    I have decided to upgrade to Leopard, a slightly different way.

    What I am planning to do is keep the 500 gig hard drive thats inside my iMac as it is, with tiger installed.

    I then plan to plug in a 500 gig external drive, to which I would install Leopard.

    As I plan to install Windows XP Pro using bootcamp through Leopard, it will also be on the new external drive.

    Sooo...

    iMac - Current 500 GB internal drive thats already inside

    External 500 GB drive - with Leopard and Windows XP Pro installed.

    Your thoughts please people!

    Does anyone know, if when I turn on my mac it will then give me the option to boot the 3 different OS's?

    Thanks...

  2. #2

    hndcvcboi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 07, 2007
    Posts
    126
    Specs:
    iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
    Quote Originally Posted by slinki View Post
    Alright everyone listen carefully!

    I have decided to upgrade to Leopard, a slightly different way.

    What I am planning to do is keep the 500 gig hard drive thats inside my iMac as it is, with tiger installed.

    I then plan to plug in a 500 gig external drive, to which I would install Leopard.

    As I plan to install Windows XP Pro using bootcamp through Leopard, it will also be on the new external drive.

    Sooo...

    iMac - Current 500 GB internal drive thats already inside

    External 500 GB drive - with Leopard and Windows XP Pro installed.

    Your thoughts please people!

    Does anyone know, if when I turn on my mac it will then give me the option to boot the 3 different OS's?

    Thanks...
    Why, are you afraid of Leopard? Doesn't make sense to me....

  3. #3

    Eric559's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2007
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,185
    Specs:
    2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
    It's going to be a pain to do that. Why not just get rid of Tiger?

  4. #4

    CorruptioN's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 06, 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    43
    Specs:
    Aluminum Duo Core 20" iMac|
    So you are saying you want Tiger and Leopard on a seperate HD? And Windows on the hardrive with Tiger? Are there some things that you dislike about Leopard? It would work but like people said above it will be a pain in the behind, why not just use Leopard and have XP on that same drive and have the extra drive for extra space?

  5. #5

    baggss's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 10, 2004
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,311
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    I would recommend the external drive be FireWire at least, preferably FireWire 800. USB 2 will work, but it will probably be a bit sluggish since USB 2 is not all that great in the speed department (Burst vs Sustained).

    Otherwise, what you want to do will work. I'm with the ret though. Why?


  6. #6

    slinki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    144
    Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by hndcvcboi View Post
    Why, are you afraid of Leopard? Doesn't make sense to me....
    Pretty much yes. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about it, with things not working on it etc. This way I could just boot up tiger if I needed it.

  7. #7

    slinki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    144
    Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptioN View Post
    So you are saying you want Tiger and Leopard on a seperate HD?
    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptioN View Post
    And Windows on the hardrive with Tiger?
    No, on the hard drive with Leopard, using bootcamp.

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptioN View Post
    Are there some things that you dislike about Leopard? It would work but like people said above it will be a pain in the behind, why not just use Leopard and have XP on that same drive and have the extra drive for extra space?
    Yeah, just scared to leave Tiger behind, incase Leopard is a total disaster! With 1TB between them, I will have plenty of space I think!

  8. #8

    slinki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    144
    Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    I would recommend the external drive be FireWire at least, preferably FireWire 800. USB 2 will work, but it will probably be a bit sluggish since USB 2 is not all that great in the speed department (Burst vs Sustained).

    Otherwise, what you want to do will work. I'm with the ret though. Why?
    Firewire is great...with machines that have firewire ports. If you buy a firewire hard drive, then aren't you restricting the use of that drive to machines with fire wire ports? Or is there a usb connection on the back of them too? I'l be happy enough with the USB at the moment. I explain why above.

  9. #9

    claudius753's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 11, 2005
    Posts
    264
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
    If you are going into this with the intention of primarily using Leopard, but keeping Tiger as a back up just in case, as it seems to me to be what you are saying, I think it would be better to have Leopard on the main (internal) drive because of the speed issue.

    Couldn't you use a cloning tool to clone your current Tiger setup to the external, then install Leopard and XP on the internal? Then you would still have your Tiger install to fall back on just in case, but if you found yourself really liking Leopard, you wouldn't have to deal with the slower performance of the external drive.

    Also, just because an external drive is FireWire does not mean that it can't be USB also - many FireWire drives also include USB. A quick search shows the Buffalo HD-HC500IU2 As a 500 GB external with USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 for $119 from TigerDirect, though I cannot vouch for the quality of the product.
    Nathan Sweeney

    Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
    Come and help save lives by Folding

  10. #10

    slinki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    144
    Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by claudius753 View Post
    If you are going into this with the intention of primarily using Leopard, but keeping Tiger as a back up just in case, as it seems to me to be what you are saying, I think it would be better to have Leopard on the main (internal) drive because of the speed issue.

    Couldn't you use a cloning tool to clone your current Tiger setup to the external, then install Leopard and XP on the internal? Then you would still have your Tiger install to fall back on just in case, but if you found yourself really liking Leopard, you wouldn't have to deal with the slower performance of the external drive.

    Also, just because an external drive is FireWire does not mean that it can't be USB also - many FireWire drives also include USB. A quick search shows the Buffalo HD-HC500IU2 As a 500 GB external with USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 for $119 from TigerDirect, though I cannot vouch for the quality of the product.
    Hey there,

    Thanks for this...a lot of good stuff in there. Very valid points. Has def' got me thinking!

    Cheers.

  11. #11

    fleurya's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 18, 2006
    Location
    Anytown, USA
    Posts
    4,933
    Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    I haven't had any real issues with Leopard, but then again I haven't had any real issues with Vista either, so what do I know.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 02:18 PM
  2. Iphone 3Gs sync Dilema!! I need to tap your brains!
    By shamir in forum iOS and Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 11:02 AM
  3. Beauty does not necessarily equate to brains....
    By D3v1L80Y in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-27-2007, 12:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •