New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - can't delete file from trash

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wakefield10

Wakefield10 is on a distinguished road

When i try and delete; Windows Media Player.app it wont let me do so, it says the operation cannot be completed because x is locked, and its not just 1 file its loads. The app file itself isnt locked and I'm really not sure how to get rid of it
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If I remember correctly, hold down the either the option key or the apple command key and then select empty the trash from the drop down menu.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

If that doesn't work..

I have this at work. I've only had to use it once, but it worked perfect. You just download it from HERE.

It's a Force Empty Trash.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

In Terminal.app you can type:

Sudo rm -rf

Then drag the file from the trash and drop it on the Terminal window... Press Enter.. Enter your password ... Press Enter
the file should now be gone.
QUOTE Thanks
Wakefield10

Wakefield10 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the replies, holding the appl button doesnt work so I tried that thing in terminal and it said this;

Welcome to Darwin!
pallassrosefinch1:~ Sharene$ Sudo rm -rf/Users/Sharene/.Trash/Windows\ Media\ Player.app/
rm: illegal option -- /
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
unlink file
pallassrosefinch1:~ Sharene$
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute

You need a SPACE between the "rm -rf" and the /Users/....

BE VERY CAREFUL using rm -rf any mistake could be critical.

Here ya go... Copy/paste this in Terminal:

Sudo rm -rf /Users/Sharene/.Trash/Windows\ Media\ Player.app/
QUOTE Thanks
Nagger Pumper

Nagger Pumper will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD

Does this work on locked programs on your backup HD ?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagger Pumper View Post
Does this work on locked programs on your backup HD ?
Such as???
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I tend to use the quotes aslo as in:

sudo rm -rf "/Users/Sharene/.Trash/Windows\ Media\ Player.app"

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakefield10 View Post
When i try and delete; Windows Media Player.app it wont let me do so, it says the operation cannot be completed because x is locked, and its not just 1 file its loads. The app file itself isnt locked and I'm really not sure how to get rid of it
Deleting locked files
Locked files can easily be deleted if you press Shift-Option or Option key combination while emptying the Trash (in Mac OS X 10.1 and later). For Mac OS X versions 10.0 to 10.0.4, use Show Info to deselect the item's Locked checkbox.

If you still cannot delete the item, start up your computer from the Mac OS X CD-ROM and choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu of the first screen. Use Disk Utility to verify and, if necessary, repair your disk.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Before using any terminal commands, firstly go to Finder Preferences in the menu bar, then go to 'Advanced'. Make sure 'Empty Trash Securely' is NOT selected. Takes eons to empty trash in secure mode.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« internal HD Full | Please help me with OSX »