New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

N00bie needs help sharing DSL connection between iMac and Dell

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonny683

Hey,

I looked around on the forum before joining to see if I could set up the internet sharing myself, but I don't think I'll be able to. My roomate has a fairly new Dell PC running WindowsXP while I have a 350Mhz G3 Mac running OS X 10.3.5. I was wondering how to share the DSL internet connection between the two computers, if possible, and what hardware I would need to purchase to make this work. I am somewhat versed in the Mac OS, my family had an old Performa back when I was in grade school, and usually I was the one to fix it. But this PC is beyond me, I only know a few things. Is there anyone who could help me out and tell me exactly how to share this internet connection? I don't know if a router alone would work since you have to "Dial up" using DSL. Anyway, let me know in laymans terms how to share this DSL connection.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Jonathan :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
mpolda

DSL is an always-on service, not dial up. As long as your DSL modem has an ethernet port on it you can network it by simply adding a router. A basic router with 4-port switch would be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
chapytoutou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny683
Hey,

I looked around on the forum before joining to see if I could set up the internet sharing myself, but I don't think I'll be able to. My roomate has a fairly new Dell PC running WindowsXP while I have a 350Mhz G3 Mac running OS X 10.3.5. I was wondering how to share the DSL internet connection between the two computers, if possible, and what hardware I would need to purchase to make this work. I am somewhat versed in the Mac OS, my family had an old Performa back when I was in grade school, and usually I was the one to fix it. But this PC is beyond me, I only know a few things. Is there anyone who could help me out and tell me exactly how to share this internet connection? I don't know if a router alone would work since you have to "Dial up" using DSL. Anyway, let me know in laymans terms how to share this DSL connection.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Jonathan :confused:

I did ofthen connect both Mac OSX and a Window running XP on the same internet connection using a Switch 10/100 SMC or a five port router. You just have to configurate both machine with the same ISP info. You can even set both machine to share printer or fax.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« erase download evidence | exe file running on a Mac »