New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Deleting/Unistalling Applications

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

btor72

btor72 is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to clean up my applications folder. When I transferred from my iBook to a MacBook, programs like Internet Explorer was installed on the MacBook.When I drag an application icon to my trash can and empty trash does that unistall the application or did I just remove the icon? Also is their a list of the standard applications that should have been on the MacBook?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The Specs page
http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html
will list the software included with new MacBooks.

Your Uninstall question has been answered thoroughly many times on this forum. Please do a search.
QUOTE Thanks
lostinmysphere

lostinmysphere is on a distinguished road

When you pop an application in the trash bin it leaves behind a lot of files (that over time) can build up .. these are stored in various places in, amongst others, your library.

These can be removed manually (but this isn't the best idea just in case you delete something v. important).

Instead I use this program: http://reggie.ashworth.googlepages.com/appdelete

Many people say use AppZapper but this is a freeware program that does effectively the same thing. Pop it in your dock, then when you want to delete an application drag it on top of the dock item instead of trash bin. After pressing okay it makes a folder in the trash bin of everything its deleted relating to the program you've chosen to delete. It's always best to check over what it has deleted in case it has made a mistake (never happened to me).
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

i would like to point out that all those files that are left over, for an average user would probably never amount to something noticeable enough to affect them. i can't see them ever going over a few MBs, ever
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

^ I second that.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki99 View Post
i would like to point out that all those files that are left over, for an average user would probably never amount to something noticeable enough to affect them. i can't see them ever going over a few MBs, ever
Agreed completely. Unlike Windows, those files will have no real impact on the system operation and will merely take up space on the drive. You would have to install several thousand Apps (or more) for the extra files to take up any noticeable amount of disc space.

To answer the OP, yes. When you put the App in the trash and delete it the whole App (aside from some prefs files mentioned above) is removed. That .App is not analogous to a Windows .exe file. The .App file is actually a package that contains everything the App needs to run and interface with the OS. This is completely unlike Windows where those pieces are strewn hither and yon within the system.

QUOTE Thanks
Bear Hunter

Bear Hunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, MBP

Yeah, I use Appledelete as well. It does a fairly good job catching everything. I always do a spotlight search afterwards using the application name and company name, then check the folders to make sure it is accurate. I have caught a lot of junk this way. Even though .plst and files left behind wont have an effect... I hate clutter.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« isync icon removal from menubar | Boot Camp/Disk Utility Issues »