Specs:
    15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
    My Situation: Worth it?
    Hey guys,
    I'm looking to possibly go out and buy Leopard, but I'm just wondering it would really even add any beneficial features that Tiger can't do for my computer now.

Here's my setup:
    Powerbook G4 15" (Yeah, rockin' the TiBook)
    867MHz
    768 MB RAM
    40 GB Internal HD
    Running 10.4.11 at the moment,
    10.28 GB free space on the internal HD
    No external drive (yet)

I use photoshop pretty regularly, but it's just a personal computer not a work one.

My primary fear of upgrading is the idea that half the new leopard features require a system with better features than mine, and I'm afraid that the whole OS will run slow. Is it worth it when a lot of the apps reworked in Leopard don't even effect my machine?

I'm also probably going to be buying a brand new laptop (mac of course) in 1-1.5 years for college, so Leopard would be bundled with that anyways.

I'm in need of an idea to give my mom for a gift for me, so Leopard is an option, but I would rather get something else if it really wouldn't be terribly beneficial for me.

What do you guys recommend?
    l 8GB iPhone 3G l 15" Macbook Pro l Powerbook G4 15" l 8GB iPod Touch l 4GB iPod Mini l

Specs:
    MacBook
    If it ain't broke... don't "fix" it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    I'm with D3v1l80Y, I wouldn't do it. If your computer works and does what you need it to, then there isn't really any reason to.

But then again, its your call!

Specs:
    15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
    Yeah, I'm thinkin' the same thing.

Does anyone know how many more updates apple is planning to do for Tiger though? I don't want to become obsolete in a few months if I can help it.
    l 8GB iPhone 3G l 15" Macbook Pro l Powerbook G4 15" l 8GB iPod Touch l 4GB iPod Mini l

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepugs View Post
    I don't want to become obsolete in a few months if I can help it.
    Quote Originally Posted by American Heritage Dictionary
    obĚsoĚlete (ŏb'sə-lēt', ŏb'sə-lēt') Pronunciation Key
    adj.

1. No longer in use
    If it still works for you and you are using it, then I don't think you have to worry about becoming obsolete.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    For me 10.4 will only become obsolete when a majority of the apps require 10.5 or later.

MacHeadCase
    Also keep in mind that if you do upgrade to Leopard, your PB barely makes the cut as it meets the lowest requirements. That means it might be sluggish. If you're happy with the way it's going, keep it that way like the rest of the crew says in here.

But.... you could ask your mom for an external hard drive though. You'd be able to free some space on your internal hard drive, you'd be able to use it for backups, etc.

As long as it has a FireWire interface and has a clone copy of your internal on it, you could even use it to boot from, in case of an emergency.

It might come to a slightly more expensive gift than buying Leopard, but you'd get to keep it for a long time and it would very very useful, even a lifesaver in some cases.

Thread Information