New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Problems with OS X 10.4.11 update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

derrickk

derrickk is on a distinguished road

OK - I guess I should have read the many posts out there about the problems with this software update. However, I did not and now am encountering two bizarre problems. Perhaps someone out there can help.

I own a Macbook and downloaded 10.4.11 yesterday. Everything was running just fine until then. Now I have two problems:

1) it cannot read Mac OS DVDs (neither the new Leopard disks I just got, nor the original backups of 10.4.9 that came with the macbook). The disks are fine and can be read without a problem by my iMac. The drive on the macbook is fine since it can read other DVDs (e.g., iLife 08 DVD, movie DVDs). It seems to be limited to OS 10.4 and 10.5 installation DVDs.

2) a smaller but also annoying thing is that my apple-supplied stocks widget is reading wrong stock prices.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Derrick
QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

kevin_msu has a spectacular aura about

archive and install and do the collective update.

10.4.11 bricked my macbook, it wouldn't even start up.

MacBook owner since 7/15/06
13inch White, 2.0 ghz Intel
My first Mac was a Powerbook 165c :mac:

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Here's the link for the Combo Update:

Mac OS X 10.4.11 Combo Update (Intel)

There are a lot of reports of problems after installing this update.

Another way to get the update is to download the Combo Update from Apple which makes me think that the Software Updater might be at fault ... don't know for sure, but.
QUOTE Thanks
derrickk

derrickk is on a distinguished road

Thanks to both. I downloaded the combo update directly from apple yesterday and installed it. However, I just installed it directly (on top of existing updates) rather than doing a clean install from original disks. Unfortunately, it did nothing?

Can you elaborate what you mean by archive and install? Are you referring to a new install from original disks that came with the macbook? Not sure how to do that since my OS 10.4.6 disks, which came with the Macbook, also cannot be read.

Thanks for your continued help.
QUOTE Thanks
Neferatowen

Neferatowen is on a distinguished road

Don't know if this will work but have you tried repairing disk permissions? Worth a shot. When I downloaded this update my laptop couldn't restart, it was stuck on the loading screen. I had to do an archive and install - it is an installation option on the original disks that would have come with your computer, but if you can't load them that won't work.
I tried downloading it again, thinking that it may have been because I had a few programs open at the time it was installing and it failed again. Rather than attempt to restart the computer like it wanted me to I checked and repaired disk permissions and that seemed to reverse all the stuff it messed up by not installing properly.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Back To My Mac-Work with Network Drives? | extract rar files? »