New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Repair Permission Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eric06

eric06 has a spectacular aura about

I ran verify permissions today and tried to repair them but none of them were repairable. I have attached a screen shot. Do I need to be worried that they were changed and now can't be repaired?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg permission.jpg (41.2 KB, 32 views)

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

You might want to give Apple Care a ring for the rest of those messages but at least this error message, Mac OS X 10.5: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions reports a permissions issue with ARDAgent is said to not be cause for concern.

Had a look with Google and disk permissions repair seems to be a fairly widespread issue with Leopard for now. No reports with actual problems that I can see up to now but it seems that what Tiger fixed after Panther, Leopard takes it back a step.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

From the best I can tell, all the rest of the changes occured with the update to 10.5.1 and should be nothing to worry about - same with the ARDAgent.

Have all of the same ones on mine after that update.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

I am on hold with Apple Care now.

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Hope you're not there long, let us know what they say.

QUOTE Thanks
eric06

After about 20-30 mins on hold I finally got someone. He thinks something happened when I did a clean install of Leopard. He mentioned that I possibly get my Mac looked at.

Since I upgraded to Leopard, I have Mighty Mouse, Mail.App, Parallels and a few issues like those.

I will update more when I get off the phone with him.

QUOTE Thanks
eric06

I just got off the phone.

The final conclusion was when I did the 10.5.1. update something happened and caused things to possibly corrupt. I am taking to MBP to the local authorized guy tomorrow to have him run advanced disk utility programs since I don't have my Leopard discs. If he finds something out, I will have to reinstall Leopard and pray for no problems.

The apple care guy was really patient and took time to look things up for me. Apple care is awesome!!

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Well good luck, eric06. I hope you can get it fixed with the least amount of trouble.
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Well good luck, eric06. I hope you can get it fixed with the least amount of trouble.
Thanks MHC!!

I can keeping updating on my problems if people wish.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Of course, please do so. It might help others going through the same problems.
QUOTE Thanks
markzilch

markzilch is on a distinguished road

exactly the same problems, found the solution on apple support forum.
the answer is to download http://discussions.apple.com/thread....5322&tstart=90

download and run the standalone 10.51 update the secure.log message is caused by the weekly cron task being run and is normall.
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzilch View Post
exactly the same problems, found the solution on apple support forum.
the answer is to download http://discussions.apple.com/thread....5322&tstart=90

download and run the standalone 10.51 update the secure.log message is caused by the weekly cron task being run and is normall.
I downloaded the standalone 10.5.1 and installed it. I'll see what happens. If it still acts up I'll give the Mac guy a call.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Decided to give it a try myself. Downloaded the standalone 10.5.1 update and installed it on top of the regular 10.5.1 update I had already done.

All of the "Warning: SUID" comments are no longer there on a permissions repair except for the ARDAgent.

QUOTE Thanks
eric06

Installing the stand alone seems to help. My MBP is actually faster now and doesn't lag when using Safari and Adobe programs.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Excellent! Reinstalling an update will sometimes fix quirky behaviour. I dunno why, maybe a teeny glitch in the download on the first try or something...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Private Browsing | How do I change ownership of my Mac? »