New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - URGENT: Sudden Black Screen On Tiger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lkoreality

lkoreality is on a distinguished road

My mom was on her mac this morning and when she was asked to update software she pressed quit (install later) as she normally would. After this the screen just turned black.

The mouse was still on and you could see it but there was no response from the keyboard or mouse in anyway. She is hysterical right now since she has non backed up pictures from the past FIVE YEARS of our life.

Does anyone have ANY idea of what it is and what I should do. I think the only thing I can do is restart but my mom doesn't want to take risks with the last five years of our life in pictures.

PLEASE respond ASAP!!!

Thanks,
Luke
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

Can she remember what the message was?

You can probably only restart is my guess. How about CMD-OPT-ESC to see if anything is still running and maybe force the quit?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

If she really quit Software Update without launching the install then stopping it in mid process, there shouldn't be a problem with a restart. Although I can't say this is a usual behaviour.

If worst comes to worse, you can always pop in the optical drive the restore disk and boot from it.

Can you give us the full specs of the computer, which OS version, etc.?
QUOTE Thanks
lkoreality

lkoreality is on a distinguished road

We "took a risk" and rebooted. It works fine. Thanks anyway. We're now going to back it all up Learn our lesson! Thanks again.

Luke
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

I have had similar thing happen but mine was the back light turning off, don't know why, it freaked me out but then I hit the brightness button and it came back.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« This command doesn't work in terminal of Leopard Server | Removing iDisk icon from desktop »