Specs:
    2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
    Question Anoying spotlight problem
    Hi Everyone,

I've got an external drive attached to my iMac that I use for SuperDuper backups. Every time I boot my machine I have to tell Spotlight to *not* index it. Is there any way to permanently prevent the indexing of this drive.

cheers

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    System Preferences - Spotlight - the Privacy button - add that drive to the list of places not to search
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Thanks Bobtomay,

But that's the problem, I have to keep adding that drive to the list of places not to search, every time I restart my iMac.
    Leopard has amnesia and doesn't remember.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    System Preferences - Spotlight - the Privacy button - add that drive to the list of places not to search

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Are you using SuperDuper! in Leopard?

That could be the issue - it is not Leopard compatible as of yet.
    From what I could find, Superduper! normally removes the drive (partition) it is backing up to from that list when it runs and then adds it back when it is finished. Not adding it back could be one of the glitches under Leopard that they're working on.

Specs:
    Thanks bobtomay,

I didn't realize that SuperDuper wasn't Leopard compatible.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Are you using SuperDuper! in Leopard?

That could be the issue - it is not Leopard compatible as of yet.
    From what I could find, Superduper! normally removes the drive (partition) it is backing up to from that list when it runs and then adds it back when it is finished. Not adding it back could be one of the glitches under Leopard that they're working on.

Specs:
    Yes, and for anyone else checking out this thread - for most apps, it will not be that big a deal to install one that hasn't been upgraded and/or verified that it works properly in Leopard.

But for any type of disk utility, backup software, system maintenance and the like - everyone should always check at the developers site before using these types of things when upgrading to a new OS version - whether Windows, Linux or OS X. Incremental upgrades (service packs) shouldn't have an effect as the OS developer is not normally re-writing the way the OS operates.

MacHeadCase
    You can always keep on eye on the Shirt Pocket blog to find out when SuperDuper! will be updated. From the looks of it, it should be really really soon now.

Shirt Pocket Watch.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information