New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - slightly messed up home network with upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mshale

mshale is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5

Ok, so I wasn't part of the home network with my mac while using tiger, but as soon as I installed Leopard for the first time, i could see the other computer on my home network. This amazed me! I could browse her shared files and all sorts of stuff but since the 10.5.1 update, I have not been able to connect. I can see the computer icon in the shared part of my Finder Sidebar, but when I click on it to view the files, it just says connecting at the top of the window (there is a connect as button there too). What, I wonder, caused this to happen? It's not like it's important or anything, it just a little convienient, ya know?

One does what one can... but together we can do more.
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

Ok, so after hours of troubleshooting, I went up and checked the windows computer. It could browse the internet, but just to check, I ran ipconfig. Guess what... it returned 0.0.0.0 for an IP. So a resart of the windows computer fixed to problem at hand.

A new one has arrisen sice then, however. I tried to place some files in the shared folder on the computer, and it let me. The only problem is that i was trying to transfer 70MB worth of data to that computer, and it took over an hour. Should it take that long?

QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshale View Post
The only problem is that i was trying to transfer 70MB worth of data to that computer, and it took over an hour. Should it take that long?
What speed is your switch/hub? 10Mbit? My Mac will transfer 70Mb to my PC in a few seconds! Both are Gb through a Gb switch.

In fact I have just transferred a 150Mb Photoshop project to my office PC in 17seconds!

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That is very slow. A single 80Meg file here took 4-5 seconds from my iMac to PC. 100Base-T connect here.

Sometimes if there are a lot of little files it will take longer but not that long.
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

I have just done the same 150Mb transfer from my Mac pro to my Vista box and it took less than 9 seconds so I think my office PC is a bit slow!!

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowasaki View Post
I have just done the same 150Mb transfer from my Mac pro to my Vista box and it took less than 9 seconds so I think my office PC is a bit slow!!
I wonder why it was taking so long? would the signal strength have a lot to do with it? the computer upstairs is normally about 1-2 bars, and I get the full status. but her connection still says 54MB/s... very odd. I think I'm gonna try it with my brother's lappy tonight. Thanks for responding!

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

On WiFi if the signal gets low enough it will slow down the transfers. I was grabbing a video file from a neighbor to help him edit it. I live 2 lots away. The transfer was going very slow and I was at 1-2 bars. I walked through the back yard closer to his yard and the signal went up one more bar. So did the transfer speed. So that very well could be the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
On WiFi if the signal gets low enough it will slow down the transfers. I was grabbing a video file from a neighbor to help him edit it. I live 2 lots away. The transfer was going very slow and I was at 1-2 bars. I walked through the back yard closer to his yard and the signal went up one more bar. So did the transfer speed. So that very well could be the issue.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your input.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I bypass the drop box? | need help asap »