New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - Speed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thrinfo

thrinfo is on a distinguished road

I own a G4 Power pc whith a 440mhz processor with 1.5 Ghz of ram and my G4 is quite slow, I run 10.3.9 OS should I go back the the old version 9 or what.
I can't even look at a simple video, it give the answer that the computor is to slow, 80G HD, just install a DVD burner and work well, (come from my PC), just opening the file viewer take a long time, maybe 15 to 30 second and this is good for all application, should I upgrade for a bigger processor and what processor can my motherboard can take.
Thank

G4, 440 Mhz, 1.5 Ghz ram.
QUOTE Thanks
thrinfo

I've got lot of space available on my HD and I even tried Onyx to do a maintenance job with no result.

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

it really depends on what kind of videos you are watching, your computer can not handle anything of high resolution.

I would say if you gone as long as you have with out buying a new computer just bite the bullet and get a new mac, it will save you a lot of frustrations trying to get a 10 year old computer to perform like you bought it yesterday.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Your processor is too slow to run some videos properly when using OS X. But if you go back to OS 9, you'll run into JavaScript and other problems on a lot of sites (I'm running OS 9 full time, and this JavaScript is much too old); videos on some sites simply won't show up.

Upgrading the processor likely would be a waste of money because other parts of the computer would remain as slow as ever. Especially because you're into video, the machine is simply too old to do what you want or need.

If a new Mac is out of the question, perhaps a newer, used machine would fit your purposes.
QUOTE Thanks
thrinfo

For the video, they are simple clip, no hd, and what I was saying was, the computor just strart and even since, just opening a file is complicated.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do you organize your dock? | leopard install q »