New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - First time Onyx user.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Professor_Fresh

Professor_Fresh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 1.67 GHZ w/ 1 GB RAM & Dual Mac G5.

Hello all my fellow MACers.

So I have heard that this Onyx program is a good tool to keep your Mac running in tip top shape. I decided it would be a good idea to obtain the latest version since I noticed the old Powerbook isn't running like its old self. On top of the fact that I know very little computer jargon/techniques to do any of the tasks myself.

I ran the first S.M.A.R.T verification, and got a message saying I needed to insert my OS X disc and do some repairs. I have since then cleaned out my cache using Onyx and was curious what I should do with the whole OS X disc situation when I get home?

Anyone able to give me the correct steps in doing the task it had asked of me?

As well any tips on using Onyx to it's best/safest way for a complete noob?

Respect.
The Professor.

"I only act like I don't give a make love."
"Dreams don't kill people, dreamers do."
"Without love we perish."
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If it is asking for repairs, then just run Disk Utility (in Utilities) to repair a disk.

Also MainMenu seems to be a favourite maintenance app on this forum, well worth a try as well
QUOTE Thanks
Fairly

Fairly has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I find it curious that someone should use a program that does who knows what to perhaps coincidentally cure a computer that may or may not be suffering from a performance issue said someone is not capable of further specifying. And I find it curiouser that someone else should recommend this course of action to his "fellow MACer".
QUOTE Thanks
Professor_Fresh

luishen.

Thanks for the heads up. It said specifically the start-up disk, so I guess Im probably best off using the OS X disc as it recommends. I did download MainMenu and seem to like its design within the menu bar better than opening up the Onyx program. As well it seems that it has all the same features that Onyx provides, but like I mentioned before I have limited experience with these programs.

Fairly.

I didn't follow your post. Nonetheless it sounds as if you're trying to be more condescending than helpful. However correct me if I'm wrong, cuz if you've got a better solution I would love to hear it.

Respect.
Prof. Fresh.

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Fresh View Post
Hello all my fellow MACers.

So I have heard that this Onyx program is a good tool to keep your Mac running in tip top shape. I decided it would be a good idea to obtain the latest version since I noticed the old Powerbook isn't running like its old self. On top of the fact that I know very little computer jargon/techniques to do any of the tasks myself.

I ran the first S.M.A.R.T verification, and got a message saying I needed to insert my OS X disc and do some repairs. I have since then cleaned out my cache using Onyx and was curious what I should do with the whole OS X disc situation when I get home?

Anyone able to give me the correct steps in doing the task it had asked of me?

As well any tips on using Onyx to it's best/safest way for a complete noob?

Respect.
The Professor.
It seems that OnyX is asking you to insert your OS X disc which you should do next time you're at your Mac. So startup your mac and insert the install disc, restart and hold the 'C' key when you hear the chime.

Your mac will then boot from the install disc and allow you to navigate to Disc Utilities ( instead of going through the install steps, look up to the left of your screen where you'll see some options in the menubar. Have a look in each option until you find Disc Utilities.)

Run repair Permissions and repair Disc. I think this is what OnyX is asking you to do though I can't explain why. When you're finished, just eject the disc and restart your Mac.

I've been using OnyX for years and while I don't get too heavily into it, just simply running the 'Cleaning' and 'Maintenance' sections about once a fortnight or before/after installing anything.

Here's a quick OnyX how-to, based on my own usage. Along the way you'll be prompted to restart your Mac. I always run OnyX from the Admin acct, as I generally use a Standard acct for regular use.

From time to time it may be helpful to startup your Mac is Safe mode and run OnyX then.

QUOTE Thanks
Professor_Fresh

Spawn.

Wow I really REALLY liked your post. Very thorough explanation, and the pictures helped make it easier to understand. I did the OS X disc procedure last night after reading your post, and noticed an immediate improvement when it rebooted. It tends to respond faster than it was before.

Have you tried MainMenu? It seems to offer the same features as Onyx, however I am unsure if that is correct.

Thanks again for your help! Hopefully I will be able to return the favor at some point.

Respect.
Prof.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« server not found ...IE Mac | Administrator and User Accounts »