New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

What the heck is this, what is happening?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lovemycoffee

Hi...I have OSX 10.3.5. Something odd has happened twice now in 2 days and it's never happened before. I will be online, all of a sudden, this grey transparent color comes down over my screen. An apple warning comes up and says I need to shut my computer down and restart, my mouse will not move. This warning is in english and a few other languages, and doesn't look like a regular warning.

I had written on another thread that I thought I had a virus, after reading the responses, I felt good that I didn't have one....but now I am scared, what is this??????????

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I think that's what a kernel panic does.. Im not sure though since I've never had one, but I hear about them.. hopefully someone else will respond to your message, but Im pretty sure that is what it is.
QUOTE Thanks
pedXing

UGGHH....thats pretty unfortunate.....but i found some links that might help you solve ure problem :-)
http://www.index-site.com/kernelpanic.html
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/kernelpanics.html

I hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
lovemycoffee

HI...I am reading over in Apple.coms site and yes it's kernal panic. The only thing I have changed lately is downloading OSX 10.3.5. I am wondering if I un install that, will this problem go away?

I also read that it can be caused by major computer problems, but my computer is only 6 months old. I am wondering if I should call the Apple store and see what they think I should do.
QUOTE Thanks
BlackOpSniper

hmmmmm......I would phone apple and tell them to come over and check it out....it think it's the smartest thing to do,cause I really don't know!I ain't a rocket scientist!!I am a trainee rocket scientist.I think you shouldn't touch you thing your downloaded till you call the mighty blue apple of goodness.....I hope I helped ^_^!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

That is a kernel panic, no virus. Always good to run repair permissions when that happens. finder applications utilities disk utility select volume and click repair permissions Don't try uninstalling 10.3.5! That is a crucial update!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Try this first:

Down load the Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.5. Then repair your permissions, update your system again using the combo update and then repair permission again.

Hopefully this will resolve your problem. I have found that updating with the combo updater is better.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
lovemycoffee

Down load the Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.5. Then repair your permissions, update your system again using the combo update and then repair permission again.>>>

I am not computer savvy, can you explain this in laymans terms What does update the system again mean? Do you think the 10.3.5 is the problem?

I don't recall the first time I got a panic, but the 2nd was going to surf on eBay, if that helps any.

I am also confused as how to do disk permissions, I was told to click the bottom left button first, then the Apple store told me no, click the top left button first.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Finder applications utilities disk utility upper left select volume (the disk label under the hard drive description then middle lower click under varify permissions *repair permissions*
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Starting at your OS X system disk. Mine is called Mac OS X, from there you so to the application folder. Next you locate and open the utilities folder. Then locate the application Disk Utility. Run the application. When it comes up select your system disk from the list. You should see the repair disk permissions button near the bottom.

After this is done, locate the white file system. Open it and run the installer program.

Then rerun the disk utility program to repair permissions again.

By running the combo updater, you are ensuring that any missing updates are applied. Also the kernel will be rebuilt. Which should also help.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
lovemycoffee

I went to the Apple store and talked to the guy at the genius bar. He said this COULD be from a virus....sigh.

I will do what he suggested and what you all suggested and check back. He also said I could not go back to OSX 10.3.4.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainMack

i have not heard of any recent virus for the mac. if you find out that it is a virus tell me which one it is
QUOTE Thanks
rman

What did he suggest?

I would use the combo update first, before I would back tp 10.3.4.

QUOTE Thanks
lovemycoffee

He suggested I do repair permissions, then to trash "com.apple.finder.plist". So I did those and I also did what you said. I installed the new update and I still have the icon on my desktop, can I trash that or no?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Once you are finished with you can trash it.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« THERE IS a way to tab to non-text form fields in osx (and safari!) | Making stickies permenant »