New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

THERE IS a way to tab to non-text form fields in osx (and safari!)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

All you do is go to system prefs, then keyboard and mouse. Once there click on keyboard shortcuts on the right. Then at the very bottom click the box that says "Turn on full keyboard access." VOILA! Now you can use the keyboard on all form fields!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Hmm.. Ill have to try that.. that's the main reason I do not use safari
QUOTE Thanks
Matt

May I ask what you are talking about :confused:

Sounds handy
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

Matt: normally in windows when filling out a form on a website or other things, I was able to use my keyboard for the whole thing. By pushing tab you are able to switch between the all form fields. The thing with OS X i was having trouble with lately was that it would skip over any non-text form fields (i.e a checkbox or drop box)
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

That's why I went to Mozilla since I could tab to all form elements.
QUOTE Thanks
BlackOpSniper

Mozilla is really good,but I prefer Safari...READ MY SIGNATURE!!!i hate that one
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gort
All you do is go to system prefs, then keyboard and mouse. Once there click on keyboard shortcuts on the right. Then at the very bottom click the box that says "Turn on full keyboard access." VOILA! Now you can use the keyboard on all form fields!

Thanks that was great help.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
terpfan

terpfan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!

yeah that bothered me too. However I tried this before and did it again and it still doesn't work. Like on pull down menus for example choosing your state. It skips over it!! :mad: HELP!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Hmm.. I just tried it and it works great.. man that's awesome. Although Mozilla still has way more than Safari so I will continue to use Mozilla, it's still good to know that there is one thing down and several more to go before I switch to Safari
QUOTE Thanks
Matt

Ok then

Thanks for that
QUOTE Thanks
terpfan

terpfan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!

yeaeh still doesn't work. It doesn't do it in mozilla either. Whats a website to try? Pull down menus it should go to when I tab? It doesnt when i turned that on.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Are you using 10.3.5? And you went into system preferences, Universal Access, Turn on "Enable access for assistive devices", then go back to system preferences and click on "Keyboard & Mouse" then "Keyboard Shortcuts" and click on the "Turn on full keyboard access" and make sure the "Keyboard Navigation" is checked.

That should do it for you. That's strange about Mozilla though, since Mozilla has it built in since it does not follow Apple's UI guidelines... When you tab it should go to all form elements, input fields, textarea fields, pull down menus, radio buttons, checkboxes etc etc..

Which brings me to a question. Does anyone know how to tab out of a textarea field?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble Deleting item | What the heck is this, what is happening? »