New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Help! Lost music and pictures...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alec9

Alec9 is on a distinguished road

So, I was just cleaning out my computer, and I came across this application called "serial box". I have no memory of downloading this, or it ever being installed. So I tried opening it, and it wouldn't open. Something about it not being supported...I can't remember. Anyways, not knowing what it was, and it not working anyways, I deleted it. Turns out, that was a bad idea.

After I deleted it, it basically returned all my programs to how they started. So, iTunes had no music, iPhoto had no photos, etc. However, all my music and pictures are still on my computer, but when I open iTunes, for example, and press "import", my songs don't show up in my finder. Anyone ever heard of this? Am I screwed or what?

If you have any help, please let me know

Thanks,

Alec
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you also in your cleaning stuff up rename your HOME folder in OSX?
QUOTE Thanks
Alec9

Oooh, I did. It used to be just all small letters, then I decided, because Im bored, to type my properly...so it went from (making up a name here):

johnsmith to John Smith

So does that have anything to do with it?
QUOTE Thanks
loratliff

loratliff is on a distinguished road

That would do it. Serial Box had nothing to do with it.

There is a way to fix it; hopefully someone else can chime in as I can't remember exactly what you have to do.
QUOTE Thanks
Alec9

ahhh good. Ya, sorry, im a noob. I didnt think serial box would have had an effect, but I couldn't think of anything else, as all my stuff went back to original right after I deleted it. Anyways, ya if someone knows how to reverse this it would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107854

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Here ya go.. instructions on the right and wrong way of doing these sorts of things, and how to fix it:
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/renamehomerecovery.html
QUOTE Thanks
Alec9

I made a thread yesterday on this, and I really appreciate the help you guys gave me. But Im getting pretty frustrated because I cant figure this out, and Im scared I'll end up deleting something important.

So, here's what happened from the beginning:

Changed home folder name from: johnsmith to John Smith (fatal mistake...)

All my programs got restarted etc. I've tried googling all sorts of different websites for help on this, but I just cant understand/too scared, and I'm getting different information on different websites.

I changed new "John Smith" folder, to "John Smith_new", because the Apple site told me too. Then I logged out, and logged back in. Now everything is the same, except the home folder icon is called "johnsmith", and the other folder that actually has my pictures, music in it is called "John Smith". So, all that has happened is the names got switched, to my knowledge anyway.

I'm getting really fed up/confused and really dont want to mess anything up. If anyone can please give me a simple, step-by-step instructions, you have no idea how much I would appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!

Alec
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec9 View Post
I made a thread yesterday on this, and I really appreciate the help you guys gave me.
And we would appreciate it if you didn't start a new thread on the same topic when you have already started one.

Threads Merged.

And I already posted a link on how to repair it
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Alec9

Yeah, I know I shouldn't have, I'm just stressing out. This, combined with final reports and exams coming up, It's not fun.

Thanks though
QUOTE Thanks
Marion

Marion is on a distinguished road

I am no expert but I followed that link and it looks to me as though you followed the instructions most of the way but have one more step to go. I think that you should rename John Smith to johnsmith, then John Smith_new will be irrelevant. That's only my interpretation though, so don't trust me unless it makes sense to you
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« partition problem | iPhoto problems »