New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - OS System Maintenance - manually

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chrisflyer

Chrisflyer is on a distinguished road

Friends,

I understand that the OS performs self maintenance between 0300 and 0500 for runs performed daily, weekly and monthly.

As I have the system of during these times, I assume the runs don't happen and as such the maintenance is not performed?

If so, does this cause any system or operational instability?

Are the runs really required?

Should I be running these functions manually? Specifically the daily run?

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Well you can always use the app "onyx" to perform those runs anytime if you want to. But really if you miss doing those runs for a while it shouldn't affect your mac all that much. Cause I believe there would be a large portion of the mac world who doesn't have their computers on at those crazy hours of the night. And all their machines are roughly ok no the whole.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I use MainMenu for all those tasks, I find it very convenient, useful and it has all the features I need.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

I thought Oynx wasn't yet compatible with 10.5 ???
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

Hi everyone i recently purchased a white macbook 2.16ghz and i just had a few questions about general maintenance of the hardware, these are my q's:

1) is there an apple equivalent of a disk defragmenter and if there is how often should i run this?

2) What other procedures should i undertake to ensure my macbook keeps running smoothly?
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

There's no built in tool for defragmenting in OS X cause HFS is a very capable file system and maintains it self. However, there is this app, iDefrag, which I've used in the past and had some speed improvements including some fixes to problems. It's a paid software however.

Otherwise there's nothing that you need to run. But you could try onyx for maintenance and such.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I believe that OS X defrags itself when you are not using it

To clean up log files, run maintenance scripts (which run overnight - but I shut my mac down to save energy) and run other clean-up tasks - ONYX does a brilliant job

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ties/onyx.html
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_OS View Post
1) is there an apple equivalent of a disk defragmenter and if there is how often should i run this?

2) What other procedures should i undertake to ensure my macbook keeps running smoothly?
no offence but a simple search would have answered your question but no there isn't a need for defragmenting your disk
and there are several third party apps that will run the built in maintenance scripts whenever you want to.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'll second that suggestion for iDefrag. You don't need to use it regularly... OS X (or rather, then HFS file system?) does automatically defrag files under a certain size, from what I recall. But iDefrag does do a more thorough job and can show a noticable improvement in some cases. Again... not something I'd use regularly, but maybe once a year or so, perhaps every few months depending on how the computer is used.

As for maintenance... Onyx is free and pretty much does it all.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

MainMenu is also great for running the maintenance tasks and such and works great under Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
Chrisflyer

Chrisflyer is on a distinguished road

Thank you to all your replies.

I am still learning a lot about Mac's as I have only transitioned from Windows a few days ago.

Take care.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
I thought Oynx wasn't yet compatible with 10.5 ???
There's a beta version out, though admittedly I'd stick to Main Menu until Onyx is out of beta.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Here is a useful article on the tasks which run overnight on Macs.

Here is the Apple document on the Mac OS maintenance tasks that are set to run each night between 3.15am & 5.30am.

While I can't verify that all this info is entirely up-to-date for Leopard, it's worth a read anyway.

Cocktail 4.0.1 [shareware] has a Leopard version available.

AppleJack, OnyX & Maintenance have not yet been Leopardised but as lifeisabeach stated, the beta version of OnyX & Maintenance is available for testing purposes but if you're not up to testing them then it's advisable not to use these beta versions for regular maintenance purposes.

Anacron for MacOS is Leopard compatible.

Quote:
Anacron runs the periodic daily, weekly and monthly tasks on your Mac even if the machine (a laptop, for example) spends much of its time asleep or switched-off. Anacron silently checks when you reboot and every sixty minutes while the computer is running to see if the various periodic scripts are overdue, and runs them if necessary. The advantage of Anacron over many other solutions to this issue is that it runs as a proper Unix background process, requires no user intervention, and uses the regular periodic scripts.
Lastly there's Leopard Cache Cleaner.

Quote:
Leopard Cache Cleaner makes system maintenance simple with an easy point and click interface to many OS X functions.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

MainMenu does basically the same stuff as OnyX and it already works in Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

thank you for everybody's contribution as usual the forum has been most informative, i am currently downloading onyx and looks like just what i needed....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firefox won't download | Help with networking/firewall »