New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Power Mac - Reinstalling Mac osx software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rhoodtay

rhoodtay is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz, 15 inch, 3gb ram.

Hey everyone, I recently inherited (via death of a family member) a powermac G4. I have a slight problem though, I can't do anything with the administrator accounts because they are password protected and I don't know the person's password. I thought I could rectify this by using my osx software that came with my macbook pro to wipe the system and start everything fresh but I can't even do that. Does anyone have any advice how I could actually put this computer to use?

Ryan
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

Insert your Mac OS CD and boot from the CD and then under utilities you'll find an option to reset the password. Just reset it to what you want and restart the machine and this time boot from the disk.
QUOTE Thanks
shelflife19

shelflife19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

or you could just "buy" another copy of os x and reinstall, thats what i would do.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelflife19 View Post
or you could just "buy" another copy of os x and reinstall, thats what i would do.
and by you saying "buy" you really mean download an illegal version of the os right?
edit: and for further information doing so is a) illegal and b) against our forums lovely rules

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
rhoodtay

ok, I'll try those things. i just wasn't sure if using the osx that came with my macbook pro would work on a powermac G4. I'll guess we will find out. Thanks for the prompt replies. I appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The DVD that comes with the MacBook Pro is 1) for that machine only and 2) for Intel CPU's. Your PowerMac G4 is a Power PC CPU. An Intel version of the OS will not run on it. You will need a copy of Tiger or whatever that will work on Power PC machines and you should get one that is not machine specific.

Do you know what Model the Power Mac G4 is? The CPU speed?
QUOTE Thanks
shelflife19

shelflife19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

did i say download a illegal version? nooooooo :-P plus dont give the give any hints here, this is a legit forum
QUOTE Thanks
rhoodtay

Thanks dtravis7. I'm definitely gonna have to try that since the macbook cds aren't working. I'm not positive, but I think its the one that comes standard with 128 mb ram, and like a 60 GB hard drive. Don't quote me on that though.

I just looked it up online, it is the powermac g4 (digital audio).
QUOTE Thanks
rhoodtay

All right, got the password figured out. I feel some dumb, is all I had to do was hit enter the whole time, as in, there was no password at all, just a blank spot.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Sound in Safari or other browswers | Server Admin of Tiger Server from Leapord Desktop »