New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - how to uninstall software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ryansoxfan

ryansoxfan is on a distinguished road

i just got a wireless usb antenna for my older imac. i didn't like how it worked so i returned it. now i can't get rid of the software that i installed for it. i drug it to the trash and tried to empty the trash but it won't do it cuz it says some .nib file is still in use. how do i locate this file to get rid of this software for a device that i no longer have?? thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
ryansoxfan

i just got a wireless usb antenna for my older imac. i didn't like how it worked so i returned it. now i can't get rid of the software that i installed for it. i drug it to the trash and tried to empty the trash but it won't do it cuz it says some .nib file is still in use. how do i locate this file to get rid of this software for a device that i no longer have?? thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Look in your login items for any related items (System Prefs > Accounts > Your account > Login items). If there are any related files there, delete them (use the "-" click button). Then restart the computer and empty the trash.

Alternatively you could just use "Secure Empty Trash".

QUOTE Thanks
ryansoxfan

i tried looking for it under the accounts in system prefs. there was nothing there. i have also tried using the secure empty trash and it won't work. it still says that the file is in use. i cannot locate this file anywhere.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Is the original App still in the trash or this one file all that you are left with?

QUOTE Thanks
ryansoxfan

i have also went to force quit and this program is not listed there. i have restarted the computer and it still says this file is in use. i don't know what to do, all i know is that i want to get it off my machine.
QUOTE Thanks
ryansoxfan

the original app is in the trash
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Ok, download AppZapper, pull the app and it's stuff out of the trash, open AppZapper, drag the app to AppZapper and zap it. Then empty the trash. Let it dump everything but that one file (or pull that one file out if needed). Restart the machine and dump that one file.

QUOTE Thanks
ryansoxfan

downloaded app zapper but it wont open up
QUOTE Thanks
AtTheCross

AtTheCross is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM

AppDelete Version 1.1.1

http://reggie.ashworth.googlepages.com/appdelete

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1Cor 1:18
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

AppZapper did not work because the minimum requirements are either OS X 10.4.x Tiger or 10.5.x Leopard. AppDelete is listed as being compatible with 10.3.x Panther and newer.

If you can't download or use AppDelete either...

What is the name of that application or program for that wireless USB antenna? What is the developer's name? Do a Spotlight search for either one of those names.

Since this is an add-on to your system, would you find something in the PreferencePanes folders? If it is a System Preference Pane that could why the system still thinks it is in use.

Possible paths for these is this:

- Macintosh HD -> Library -> PreferencePanes

or

- Macintosh HD -> Users -> your user account -> Library -> PreferencePanes
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac os 10.4 gives error while installation?? | how to uninstall leopard? »