New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Leopard + Ejecting Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mad_vtak

mad_vtak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Reigns surpeme

Ever since i installed leopard on my MBP its seems like it does not want to eject the drive i place in, whether it be a firewire or usb.

Only if i reboot the computer and then thats when i can eject them. But if i wait about 10min after the reboot it wont eject any more.

Any help would be great.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Have not had that issue.

But, I have noticed one improvement related to ejecting drives.
With my external drive and multiple partitions, under Tiger, you ejected one, they all ejected. With Leopard, I can eject individual partitions on that drive. This will be ideal for when SuperDuper is back. I can then eject my backup partition when I don't want Superduper to make a backup at it's regularly scheduled time and continue using the other partition.

Sorry, to hijack your thread.

What external drive are you using and does it give any type of feedback or just sit there and do nothing after you try to eject it?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mad_vtak

Im using a WD 1TB with raid capabilities. Connected firewire. That will never eject unless i reboot.

If i open the drive up to access my folders and eject or cmd e it will just close the folder but will not eject the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Are you using 10.5 or 10.5.1?

Edited to add:

In this Apple Discussions thread, some have reported success when they turned Time Machine off. Are you running Time Machine at all times?

And make sure you are really up to date with your Software Update. Somewhere else someone reported success after Login & Keychain Update 1.0 was installed.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

So you're trying to eject from within Finder.

cmd e, does not eject the drive on my system either. I really have no idea if this ever worked since I'm one of those mouse guys. Dislike doing anything via the keyboard that I can do with a mouse.

Selecting the eject icon on the left side of the Finder window does however give me the option of ejecting the partition or all partitions on that drive.

What about cmd click the icon on the desktop, does this eject the drive?

Time Machine, hadn't even thought of that... or some other backup software...

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mad_vtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Are you using 10.5 or 10.5.1?

Edited to add:

In this Apple Discussions thread, some have reported success when they turned Time Machine off. Are you running Time Machine at all times?
i did do an upgrade to 10.5.1 but the same happened when i was on 10.5
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I edited my earlier post and added info. Are you up to date with your Software Update?

And there's always the possibility that an indexing of the drive you are trying to disconnect is underway and Leopard's Spotlight is stopping you from doing it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

I had a similar problem with 10.5 it went away or became more stable with 10.5.1. It was like the eject buttons in finder didn't work
BTW.It was a full erase and install I did

Now with Leopard

I was Member of the month April 08
QUOTE Thanks
mad_vtak

I actually just turned it off lastnight. Its eating away at my hard drive.

It took about 260+ gigs of space. So i turned it off.

i wish i could just do a weekly back up instead of hourly.

But yes time machine is now off.
QUOTE Thanks
mad_vtak

To the top.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Apple + E works for ejecting both CD/DVDs and Hard drives just fine for me.

I suspect that your eject issue may have to do with the RAID capabilities you spoke of. I had similar issues in 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 when I had my RAID setup. In the end, I just never ejected them.

QUOTE Thanks
mad_vtak

The drive is just set to Raid 0.

I'll call apple later.

thanks peoples
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« why can't I partition my hard drive? | hard drive icon not showing under finder »