New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Leopard won't install-Says to run Disk Utility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

Around 4 weeks ago I started having a few problems with my MacBook Pro. For example Safari would not load, then I was unable to run Excel, etc. It seemed something got corrupted by OS X. I had a backup that was done using SuperDuper to an external hard drive and I was able to boot to that fine. I did a complete restore of my hard drive from this backup and my computer has worked fine for the previous 4 weeks.
Last night I decided to install Leopard and in case anything is wrong with my Tiger installation I decided to do a fresh install. I backed up all data to another hard drive and did a fresh install. I chose this when I put the Leopard disc in and it did a complete format of my hard drive. I expected it to proceed fine and then I get to a yellow screen with an exclamation point saying it can't install to this hard drive and to run DIsk Utility. The problem is how do I run Disk Utility when it's a blank hard drive? Can it somehow run from the Leopard or even my MacBook Pro's original TIger install disks? I can't help but wonder if it's some type of hard drive problem but yet after my issue 4 weeks ago it has worked fine. Any idea how I can get around this by running Disk Utility or anything else like that?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Boot with the Leopard DVD. When you get to the install screen, Click on the tools drop down and open Disk Utility from there.
QUOTE Thanks
markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I gave that a try but it did a verify and said everything is fine with the hard drive. I read up some elsewhere and it seems the problem is I need a GUID partition table. I think why I'm running into this problem is I bought this MBP about a year ago with a 160GB hard drive. About 4 months ago I upgraded it to a 250 GB hard drive by mirroring my 160 using SuperDuper. I read elsewhere that this could be the problem and the best way to do this is reformat my drive as GUID and then set up Leopardl. I've done a complete format with Disk Utility though and it's still giving the same error msg. Any other ideas of what I can do?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Go to the Partition Menu of Disk Utility and partition the drive.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303220
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« question about tiger and leopard | .mac syncronization »