New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Stuck In Os 9 :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chamonix

chamonix is on a distinguished road

I have a quick silver which i bought for 100 bucks. It has 10.4.10 which is great. I wanted to upgrade to leopard but only have 800 mhz so I got a NWT 1.6 g processor. Needed to upgrade firmware to 4.2.8 went to download but had to go to os 9 to do that, when i got into 9 went to click on an icon only to realize that although the mousse would move it will not open anything (like the apple, hard drive, etc. NOTHING. Can't get out of 9. Tried command "s", "v", but no matter what i do it reboots only in 9.
This thing was fine until i switched to nine....HELP
QUOTE Thanks
mac0s9user

mac0s9user is a jewel in the roughmac0s9user is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.

try holding option during startup. If that doesnt work put in your OS X CD/DVD and go to start up volume under utilities to select the startup volume. Good Luck
QUOTE Thanks
chamonix

chamonix is on a distinguished road

I got a screen with two arrows, one is a curved arrow and the other is straight pointing right. The hard drive icoon is perched between them both. The curved arrow does not do much but the straight arrow brings it to os 9, same problem. I don't have the original install only software restore, plus i have yet to be able to open the drive door.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamonix View Post
I got a screen with two arrows, one is a curved arrow and the other is straight pointing right. The hard drive icoon is perched between them both. The curved arrow does not do much but the straight arrow brings it to os 9, same problem. I don't have the original install only software restore, plus i have yet to be able to open the drive door.
In OS9 open Control Panels from the Apple Menu and look for Startup Disk. Both OSX and OS9 should show up there. Select the OSX boot and hit restart.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
In OS9 open Control Panels from the Apple Menu and look for Startup Disk. Both OSX and OS9 should show up there. Select the OSX boot and hit restart.
I believe that only works for OS 9.2 and 9.2.2 I'm not sure if 9.0 could recognise the OS X discs.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Perhaps try installing XPostFacto which can handle booting OS X on unsupported machines.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

He has a quicksilver G4.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I believe that only works for OS 9.2 and 9.2.2 I'm not sure if 9.0 could recognise the OS X discs.
It does, with Tiger anyway. On my G4, I run both from different partitions.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/quicksilver.html

The Quicksilver needed 9.2 to boot. So says Low End Mac and they have never been wrong that I have ever seen.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is swap memory? | restore my system »