New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Why no backup if Mag Safe is unplugged?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crispeto

crispeto is on a distinguished road

I did a search on this but didn't come up with much. I understand that TM won't auto backup when the Mag Safe is unplugged - but why? I have a portable FW HD that doesn't need AC power and it would be nice if it would auto backup all the time. What difference does the Mag Safe make? Am I correct that TM will backup if I manually choose to backup without the Mag Safe plugged in? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Okay, that answers a question or two for me. I was wondering why TM wasn't scheduling backups sometime. It was because I was disconnected from power. (I've only been using TM for a few days.)

My guess is this regarding your question. The s/w update function will complain if you try to install an update on battery power. It makes sense. If your battery dies in the middle of an update, you could have an unstable system.

With a backup, if you're on battery power, your external drive may be fine but you could still have your Mac die in the middle of a backup. Again, you have the potential for an unstable system. Given that TM is really supposed to be a "hands off" tool, it makes sense for it to operate only when the machine is connected to external power.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
crispeto

crispeto is on a distinguished road

OK, that makes sense to me. Thanks for the reply.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tiger to Leopard Upgrade - Disk keeps ejecting?? | External HDD in Desktop »