New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - How much RAM is sufficient for Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thnksfrthmmrs

thnksfrthmmrs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Considering a Mac... hopefully

Now that Leopard's been here for a couple of weeks, I wanted to hear you opinion on how much RAM I should get for my Macbook (might be a switcher soon). I won't be running bootcamp or parallels. I'm debating over 1 or 2 GB.

1. I want to run Leopard without it lagging
2. I probably would use a combination of (nothing hardcore) iWork pages/itunes or safari/mail/iWork pages. Also, I would want to do occasional home video editing and iPhoto.

Tu Madre =]
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

There are the requirements of Leopard. If you meet them then I don't see why it would lag.
QUOTE Thanks
thnksfrthmmrs

thnksfrthmmrs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Considering a Mac... hopefully

I don't know about Apple, but with Vista the system requirements are 800 MHz and 512 MB RAM. Now, can the OS boot up with that kind of speed and memory? Yes. But with all the software installed, will it run smoothly? No. It would lag to the point where it's almost impossible to use. I was asking if it was the same with Apple.

Tu Madre =]
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?
QUOTE Thanks
musicvortex

musicvortex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6

On Apple's site it says 512 MB memory.

When I bought my Mac Pro, it came with 1 gb of memory. After the upgrade to Leopard, I was still waiting for my crucial memory to arrive. So I was using Leopard for about 2 weeks with 1 GB memory. It was ok, BUT I noticed a HUUUUUUGE speed boost when I added an additional 4 gigs of memory, so I definately suggest a memory upgrade!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Unless you are a very casual user that just checks email and some basic browsing, I would upgrade as far as you can afford to. More RAM will not hurt and help if you run a lot of applications at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
digitalscrap

digitalscrap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD

I know a few people running Leopard with 1GB with no complaints, but I personally would recommend 2GB - there's quite a noticeable difference between 1GB and 2GB (it was a big improvement on Tiger, but even more so on Leopard in my opinion).

So, 1GB will be good, but 2GB will be a great deal better.
QUOTE Thanks
D R

D R is on a distinguished road

You wouldn't want to run it on 512 meg of ram if you want a smooth experience. 1 gig at a minimum, and 2 would be nicer.
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

mac747 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD

I have 2GB and it runs smooooooootthhhhh on my macbook.

T
QUOTE Thanks
darkmcs

darkmcs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.16ghz Core2Duo, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb WD Scorpio HDD, Westinghouse 22" external display

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac747 View Post
I have 2GB and it runs smooooooootthhhhh on my macbook.

T
X 2!!!

2Gb is perfect for me. Leopard and all my apps run great.

MacBook Pro unibody 2nd gen (2.53C2D, 4Gb, 320Gb WD Scorpio Black), 16Gb iPod Touch, 32Gb iPhone 3Gs, 160Gb Apple TV, iPad 3G 64Gb
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

There are the requirements of Leopard. If you meet them then I don't see why it would lag.
Even Tiger lags with 512MB of RAM on an intel machine. I don't think people realise how much memory applications take now and how many apps they have sitting open usually. Right now I am on Leopard, I have these apps just sitting away in the background (this is normal for me)

- Camino (3 tabs)
- Entourage
- iTunes
- Adium
- Stickies
- iPhoto

I also have Blackberry Sync in the background

My machine is showing 651MB free RAM (I have 2gigs). If I open or close an app, it's silky smooth, but with only a gig it would have been caching and swapping 2 or 3 apps ago.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Of course no one is going to run on 512MB of ram. 512MB isn't even available for Macbook as a configuration unless you remove one by yourself.

The lowest RAM available to order is 1GB and it runs Tiger fine for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
Of course no one is going to run on 512MB of ram. 512MB isn't even available for Macbook as a configuration unless you remove one by yourself.

The lowest RAM available to order is 1GB and it runs Tiger fine for me.
The question was how much is sufficient for Leopard, and you posted a link saying 512MB was the minimum required and then added if you meet that, it would not lag.

The fact is, many Intel machines were bought last year with only 512MB installed, and with this configuration, OS X certainly does lag if you open more then one or two apps.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

With 1 GB I got lots of page outs with my imac under 10.4 and with 2 GB I have none. But I still have a little free memory and heaps of inactive memory and that's after playing games and sound/video editing. I would have to agree that 2GB seems to be a realistic minimum for a smooth running Mac.

And I believe this rule applies to 10.5 too.
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

My wife and daughters all have 1Gb on their Macbooks and 2 of them are running leopard (I haven't managed to pry the laptop off the other daughter yet). They all run quite happily with that much RAM although none of them are power users. My Mac mini has 2Gb and acts as the home server quite happily with leopard. My iBook has 1.5Gb and my Mac pro 6Gb and again no probs.

Basically I don't think it is any worse or better than tiger RAM wise. I will be updating my wife's Macbook to 2Gb shortly so will be able see the difference.

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

gemigene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post
You wouldn't want to run it on 512 meg of ram if you want a smooth experience. 1 gig at a minimum, and 2 would be nicer.
I have 2Gb in my new 24" iMac (2.4GHz) and it sure flies compared to my older iMac 17 (1.83)...

Gene
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard hangs on screen turned off after some hours | Leopard Returned to Default when I restarted »