New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Tiger to Leopard Upgrade - Disk keeps ejecting??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fuzzyjon79

fuzzyjon79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro

I just got my macbook pro and it came with an upgrade disk (to Leopard). The instructions state to insert the disk and double click to start the upgrade. Everytime I do this it tells me to click Continue to reboot and start the installation process. I click continue, the computer restarts, but it keeps ejecting the installation disk during the boot up process so I can't get the installation started. Is there something I'm missing or not doing correctly? Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Insert Disc.

Shut Down computer.

Boot computer while holding down the "C" key.

Install software.

QUOTE Thanks
fuzzyjon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Insert Disc.

Shut Down computer.

Boot computer while holding down the "C" key.

Install software.

A couple stupid questions for you... sorry... lol... but by "C" key you do mean the letter "c" and not the control (ctrl) key? Does it have to be a capital C? I just tried holding down the letter "c" key and it didn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I mean the key with the letter C on it. That tells the machine to boot from the disc drive. You have to hold it down as the machine boots.

QUOTE Thanks
fuzzyjon79

I must be doing something wrong. I'm holding down the C key, but it keeps ejecting the disk. I also tried the older shift-option-command-delete trick, but that didn't work either. Any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Is the disc a CD or DVD?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn__Dooley View Post
Is the disc a CD or DVD?
Does it matter? He has an MBP so it should boot from either.

QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

Your trackpad button isn't stuck down or your not holding it down during boot are you?

If the trackpad button is down during startup it will eject the disk.

Its no offense to you if you did, I did this once before.

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Well the disc that came with my AppleCare Protection Plan, the TechTool Deluxe disc, is a CD and therefore isn't bootable on my Intel .... you need to download the DVD version from Apple. But I didn't have the ejecting issues though.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Is it because it's a CD or because it doesn't have an Intel compatible Boot image (can you even fit a boot image on a CD anymore?)? I bought Data Rescue II some time ago and it came with 2 discs, 1 PPC and 1 Intel.

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

The boot image wasn't updated to be compatible with the intel macs. The reason behind this is contentious. I'm not sure if this has been fixed but I downloaded the beta version from the Apple site and burned it to dvd. Works fine now.

Seems it's been fixed.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Have you checked the DVD for scratches or smudges? Since it seems you have a new MBP I would hope the DVD drive works. Does it accept other CD's or DVD's?

Check the Leopard DVD for fingerprints. Seen it happen over and over.

Did your MBP also come with the Tiger DVD since Leopard was not installed? Try booting from that DVD if you have it and see if it ejects.
QUOTE Thanks
fuzzyjon79

Yea, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. It's a brand new Macbook Pro and the guy at the Apple store said to pop in the "cpu drop in DVD" and it should upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyjon79 View Post
Yea, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. It's a brand new Macbook Pro and the guy at the Apple store said to pop in the "cpu drop in DVD" and it should upgrade.
I edited my post and gave more info.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Go to Sys Prefs and change the Startup Disc to the upgrade disc and then restart.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Not as good ? | Why no backup if Mag Safe is unplugged? »