New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Restoring to a single partition (sans Boot Camp)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

completebreakfs

completebreakfs is on a distinguished road

I searched this topic as much as I could on the net, but never got the answer I was looking for. I won't delve into the boring details of how I got my partition this way, but I am currently running two Macintosh hard drive volumes and I want to restore it to a single volume. Since neither of the drives runs in XP, I can't use Boot Camp to restore it. I've already erased the data on the second partition to join it with the first, but I don't know how to go about doing this. I'm currently running in Tiger, but once I get back to a single partition I'll be upgrading to Leopard. Is there anyway (in simple English, please) that I can go back to having a single volume hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Partitioning a disk into several volumes
1. If you are partitioning an external hard disk, make sure it is connected to your computer.
2. In Disk Utility, select the disk that you want to partition in the list.
3. Click Partition.
4. Choose the number of partitions from the Volume Scheme pop-up menu.

(If you only want one partition, then only choose one partition)

5. Click each partition and type a name for it, choose a format, and type a size. You can also drag the divider between the partitions to change their sizes.

If you will use a volume as a Mac OS 9 startup disk, select the checkbox to install the Mac OS 9 drivers. You do not need to install these drivers to use the disk with the Classic environment.

If you will use the drive on a Windows computer, click Options and choose PC Partition Scheme from the pop-up menu.
6. Click the Partition button, then click Partition again.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
completebreakfs

completebreakfs is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, I tried all that already. Because my startup volume is included in the partition I want to restore, Disk Utility won't let me make it a single partition again. I don't know how to go about this, however, because no matter which partition I make the startup volume, it's going to be included in the final single partition because I'm trying to encompass my ENTIRE hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

If you anyways plan to upgrade to leopard (i am assuming clean install) why dont you do it during installation. unfortunately bootcamp sometimes gives problems in restoring back to single partition. I have succeeded in doing it only once out of 4 times i tried. Rest of the time i had to do a format and reinstall.

If you want to upgrade (not complete format) leopard then you can use the existing Mac partition to install leopard using upgrade or A&I option. Thereafter make a time machine backup of the Mac partition and then do a clean install. You restore everything using TM backup. That way you dont loose anything. Might sound a lengthy process but anyhow you might end up spending same amount of time on other options.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You need to start up from your install disc and run Disk Utility from that, not your startup volume.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Password protect Leopard | Leopard quick search preset. »