New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Application Freezing, No Screensaver & Other issues.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Ok, so now I've been using Leopard for a bit of time, some issues have made themselves known.

The most annoying is that if I leave the computer untouched for more than about 10 minutes (like watching a video), the active application will "freeze". The curser won't change, and will move normally, and the rollover effects (like Dock magnification and the "x, -, +" buttons) still work; but trying to interact with it in any way doesn't do anything. This usually lasts about 10 seconds and then it's good-2-go again.

A day or too ago, my screensaver stopped activating. I have it set up with a hot-corner, and to come on after 30 minutes of inactivity... neither will activate the screensaver. I've tried changing the screensaver, but it's same no-matter which one I want. It's not that big of a deal; I've just set the display to sleep instead, but I miss my pretty screensaver.

Also, a few days ago Front Row stopped working. It will activate normally, but within seconds the computer tries to go to sleep.

I had hoped 10.5.1 would fix some things, but it brought with it a new issue... it won't install! The computer goes to the blue screen, and a progress bar comes up with "configuring installation", and that's it. I even left it while I went for lunch, but it still hadn't progressed by the time I got back. I tried again later and the same thing.

When I first installed Leopard it went without a hitch, and the first problem (failing to wake from sleep) went away within a day, and it wasn't for a few days after that until the application freezing started.

Other than 10.5.1, all software is up-to-date.

Are these known issues with standard fixes? I really don't want to have to do a clean install...

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Did you try manually downloading the 10.5.1 update? That would be worth a try.

So try this:

- download the installer from apple.com/support/downloads

- restart in Safe Boot mode (holding down the Shift key)

- restart normally.

Let us know how this goes. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 1How to change the look of the folders | Did 10.5.1 make you screen a little greenish? »