Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
    Strange software update issue
    Hi,

Since I've installed Leopard, I click on Software Updates every day to see if there's anything new and for the strangest reason, this is the third time I get:

iMac Graphics Firmaware Update
    This update is for 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computers with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphics running Mac OS X 10.4.10 with iMac software update 1.2.1 or Leopard with iMac software update 1.3.

It updates the graphics firmware on the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro to improve system stability.
    I already installed that update, what the heck is going on?

Also, isn't it normal for a firmware update to ask you to reboot after installation? This one didn't.

Thanks,
    Gene

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    If you are still getting that and it didn't ask you to reboot, it didn't install. Download it and try again. Firmware updates are weird and involve multiple reboots and holding the power key down.

Specs:
    24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    If you are still getting that and it didn't ask you to reboot, it didn't install. Download it and try again. Firmware updates are weird and involve multiple reboots and holding the power key down.
    Thanks Baggss, I'll try it again and see what happens. Weird thing is that it showed me this update in Tiger (installed, no reboot) and now on Leopard.

Gene

Specs:
    Just did it twice in a row and every time, it says update installed successfully but no reboot. When I do Software Update again, still shows as an update.

MacHeadCase
    Salut Gene!

Go to Apple.com/support/downloads and download it manually: this will bypass Software Update.

Specs:
    Salut toi,

Merci! I'll give that a try...

Gene

MacHeadCase
    Good luck! Hope it solves the problem.

Strange, have a look in System Preferences ~> Software Update ~> Installed Updates to see if you have more that one instance of this update already installed on your iMac.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
    Good luck! Hope it solves the problem.
    Thanks, that worked...

Gene

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawn__Dooley View Post
    Strange, have a look in System Preferences ~> Software Update ~> Installed Updates to see if you have more that one instance of this update already installed on your iMac.
    Only got one instance IMac Graphics Firmware Update in my applications/utilities folder. Now that it's updated (reboot and all), can I delete this file?

But in software updates > installed updates, it shows 4 times. Could it be because it didn't really install on the first 3 attempts?

Gene

Specs:
    Also, ran Software Update again but this time it didn't show.
    Can I remove these 3 extra instances from the updates log or should I just leave them there?

Gene

MacHeadCase
    Don't get rid of those, Gene. That's how Software Update knows what it needs to install or not.

I would manually apply once again the 10.5.1 update using the same method meaning going directly to apple.com and downloading.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
    Don't get rid of those, Gene. That's how Software Update knows what it needs to install or not.
    OK, I'll leave them alone...

I would manually apply once again the 10.5.1 update using the same method meaning going directly to apple.com and downloading.
    Oops, I'm a little confused. the graphics firmware update did work from the manual install I downloaded from apple (screen saying to close all applications, went through the install routine, reboot and all), I have to do it again?

If I check for Software Updates, it doesn't show any more updates, it should be installed, right? Also, if I do "about this Mac", it says Mac OS X, version 10.5.1...

Looks right to me, what's your opinion?

Merci,
    Gene

Specs:
    24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by gemigene View Post
    OK, I'll leave them alone...

Oops, I'm a little confused. the graphics firmware update did work from the manual install I downloaded from apple (screen saying to close all applications, went through the install routine, reboot and all), I have to do it again?

If I check for Software Updates, it doesn't show any more updates, it should be installed, right? Also, if I do "about this Mac", it says Mac OS X, version 10.5.1...

Looks right to me, what's your opinion?

Merci,
    Gene
    Yes if you don't see it on the software update list, it installed. Give your computer 1 reboot just to be safe, because I'm having a tough time understanding what you did.
    Use the search button before you post.

MacHeadCase
    Yeah not sure either.

Gene I thought you said there were problems with 10.5.1? In this case, after having manually installed the iMac Graphics Firmaware Update, I would reapply the 10.5.1 patch and see if all this wouldn't fix the weirdness. I would do the same as for the Firmware update, manually download the 10.5.1 installer.

Here's the sequence I would go through:

- go to apple.com/support/downloads and download the 10.5.1 update for your Mac model

- restart holding down the Shift key (Safe Boot mode), log in my user account

- install the downloaded update

- restart normally.

See where this takes you and report back. Good luck!

Thread Information