New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Strange software update issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gemigene

gemigene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

Hi,

Since I've installed Leopard, I click on Software Updates every day to see if there's anything new and for the strangest reason, this is the third time I get:

Quote:
iMac Graphics Firmaware Update
This update is for 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computers with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphics running Mac OS X 10.4.10 with iMac software update 1.2.1 or Leopard with iMac software update 1.3.

It updates the graphics firmware on the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro to improve system stability.
I already installed that update, what the heck is going on?

Also, isn't it normal for a firmware update to ask you to reboot after installation? This one didn't.

Thanks,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

If you are still getting that and it didn't ask you to reboot, it didn't install. Download it and try again. Firmware updates are weird and involve multiple reboots and holding the power key down.

QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
If you are still getting that and it didn't ask you to reboot, it didn't install. Download it and try again. Firmware updates are weird and involve multiple reboots and holding the power key down.
Thanks Baggss, I'll try it again and see what happens. Weird thing is that it showed me this update in Tiger (installed, no reboot) and now on Leopard.

Gene
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Just did it twice in a row and every time, it says update installed successfully but no reboot. When I do Software Update again, still shows as an update.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Salut Gene!

Go to Apple.com/support/downloads and download it manually: this will bypass Software Update.
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Salut toi,

Merci! I'll give that a try...

Gene
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Good luck! Hope it solves the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Strange, have a look in System Preferences ~> Software Update ~> Installed Updates to see if you have more that one instance of this update already installed on your iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Good luck! Hope it solves the problem.
Thanks, that worked...

Gene
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn__Dooley View Post
Strange, have a look in System Preferences ~> Software Update ~> Installed Updates to see if you have more that one instance of this update already installed on your iMac.
Only got one instance IMac Graphics Firmware Update in my applications/utilities folder. Now that it's updated (reboot and all), can I delete this file?

But in software updates > installed updates, it shows 4 times. Could it be because it didn't really install on the first 3 attempts?

Gene
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Also, ran Software Update again but this time it didn't show.
Can I remove these 3 extra instances from the updates log or should I just leave them there?

Gene
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Don't get rid of those, Gene. That's how Software Update knows what it needs to install or not.

I would manually apply once again the 10.5.1 update using the same method meaning going directly to apple.com and downloading.
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Don't get rid of those, Gene. That's how Software Update knows what it needs to install or not.
OK, I'll leave them alone...

Quote:
I would manually apply once again the 10.5.1 update using the same method meaning going directly to apple.com and downloading.
Oops, I'm a little confused. the graphics firmware update did work from the manual install I downloaded from apple (screen saying to close all applications, went through the install routine, reboot and all), I have to do it again?

If I check for Software Updates, it doesn't show any more updates, it should be installed, right? Also, if I do "about this Mac", it says Mac OS X, version 10.5.1...

Looks right to me, what's your opinion?

Merci,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
Matt Deasay

Matt Deasay will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemigene View Post
OK, I'll leave them alone...

Oops, I'm a little confused. the graphics firmware update did work from the manual install I downloaded from apple (screen saying to close all applications, went through the install routine, reboot and all), I have to do it again?

If I check for Software Updates, it doesn't show any more updates, it should be installed, right? Also, if I do "about this Mac", it says Mac OS X, version 10.5.1...

Looks right to me, what's your opinion?

Merci,
Gene
Yes if you don't see it on the software update list, it installed. Give your computer 1 reboot just to be safe, because I'm having a tough time understanding what you did.

Use the search button before you post.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yeah not sure either.

Gene I thought you said there were problems with 10.5.1? In this case, after having manually installed the iMac Graphics Firmaware Update, I would reapply the 10.5.1 patch and see if all this wouldn't fix the weirdness. I would do the same as for the Firmware update, manually download the 10.5.1 installer.

Here's the sequence I would go through:

- go to apple.com/support/downloads and download the 10.5.1 update for your Mac model

- restart holding down the Shift key (Safe Boot mode), log in my user account

- install the downloaded update

- restart normally.

See where this takes you and report back. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« User profile and all it's all data --> | Sharing Windows Vista with 10.5 »